*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #31
BEER_4_BREAKFAST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna make some for my Labradoodle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #32
slimer

Recipes 

I liked my recipe with 3 cups of flour and grains instead of the 4.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #33
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I must admit I tried one as well. They wouldn't be so bad if they were soft and had more sugar. In comparison to other dog treats I have tasted, I'd have to say these are my favorite

Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
thevalkrye
Recipes 

"The poop iz fo teh buzz and dah Kookeez is fo dah muncheez"..........ha ha ha ha good one!!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #35
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My two pit's love these things...I tried to make a batch for myself adding a little bit of sugar but they weren't much better than the dog's batch...next time I'll cut back on the flour, add a bit of honey and brown sugar, and not give them the long bake treatment.

FYI, after I cut them, I just turn the oven down to warm and leave them in overnight...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #36
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Beer Cookie Snob & EAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
My two pit's love these things...I tried to make a batch for myself adding a little bit of sugar but they weren't much better than the dog's batch...next time I'll cut back on the flour, add a bit of honey and brown sugar, and not give them the long bake treatment.

FYI, after I cut them, I just turn the oven down to warm and leave them in overnight...

This is totally cool!!!

My dog Buzz will be a Beer Cookie Snob & an EAC

Irish Red - Dog Cookies
BierMunchers Cream of 3 Crop - Dog Cookies
Orfy's Hobgoblin - Dog Cookies
Edwort's Haus Ale - Dog Cookies.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #37
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry, I apologize to the OP, this will be the last time I sidetrack this thread unless someone later has a specific nutritional or veterinary question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
The quote you provided only mentioned vegetable food sources as minor sources of nutrition and animal protein and fat as the primary source of nutrition. Sounds like a carnivore that enjoys sweets (fruit) when available.
That is the problem with quoting out of a giant veterinary tome, or trying to paraphrase a field where extensive research has been been preformed; you can't quite get all the info into one post without your fingers falling off and/or exceeding the 10,000 character limit.

The definition of omnivore is "having a diet that consists of both plant and animal matter", (paraphrased out of Dorlands Medical Dictionary 30th ed.) but can be expanded to, "a creature that is both able and willing to ingest, digest, and metabolize both plant and animal materials as part of their normal diet." To keep from having to quote from the multitude of reliable, peer-reviewed sources out there, I will stick to quoting from "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition," but will post further sources if you so wish. If you do not wish to stick to the admittedly dry and boring scientific literature, I am sure a goggle search will come up with similar information, but will also abound with misconstrued ideals on pet nutrition which are backed up only on "feeling" and not on "fact."

You mention plant matter as "treats," and "minor sources of nutrition." Further reading in "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition" mentions that not only do wild canids readily ingest plant material in various forms when prey is plentiful, but when animal prey is scarce they can subsist solely on plant material until their next kill. Research into the nutritional requirements of dogs that compared diets between those fed a balanced animal diet and those fed a balanced vegetable diet showed no difference between the groups. These studies and observations show that dogs are willing to ingest, digest, and are physiologically able to metabolize plant and animal material, giving them the title of omnivore.

Quote:
I'm sure you enjoy candy at times, but you don't expect to eat candy for a meal. I think with dogs, vegetable sources of food should be treated the same way and not the primary source of nutrition as it is in most "dog food".
Yes, I do enjoy candy, and no it is not my primary source of nutrition (usually) However I also do not eat meat for every meal, and the majority of my dietary intake is from plant material (pastas, bread, beans, rice, etc.), does this make me a herbivore? Of course not! Just because a vegetarian eats no meat products, does that make them a herbivore? No! Because as a human, we are able to ingest, digest, and metabolize both plant and animal materials.

Yes sir, you are also correct that many dog food diets contain a good amount of plant material (corn, rice, potato, etc.), and this is for a multitude of reasons:
-Caloric density: Starches from plant material is much more caloricly dense than meat products. this way you do not have to feed your dog 20lbs of dog food a day.
-Ability to utilize plant material: Addressed above.
-ability to store: I do not know about you, but last time I tried to keep a bag of buffalo guts around.....
-Expense: Yes, economics do take a part, as they take a part in everything else in our lives.

If you are still convinced that your pet should subsist on a majority animal product diet, there are some very good resources out there, but I urge you to PLEASE talk to your vet about formulating a well balanced diet to optimize your pets health, or find a good, credible, certified veterinary nutritionist to help develop a diet. For the majority of us that do not have the time or money to cook and prepare for ourselves, let alone our pets, any brand name (not store brand) dog food out there has been tested to be balanced for your pets nutrition.

If you have further specific questions about your pet, please consult your vet.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Krimper Likes This 
Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #38
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Deathweed - Are you a Vet just a nutritionist? OK a vet in Training. Looked at your profile...

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #39
LibertyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We live out in the country, and I can tell you dogs like eating grain. Most dogs don't have a problem eating sweet feed. My dogs will eat the spent grain without having to add anything to it. I usually put it out for the horses. If they are not around, the dogs get some before they show up.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #40
TheGAC
Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
My dog Buzz will be a Beer Cookie Snob & an EAC
Ok, I've done a few searches of forums, checked out the Brew Wiki, Wikipedia, Urban Dictionary, and just a Google search... can't find it...

I know I'm going to get totally pwned for being a n00b, but I guess that's the price of admission... Can someone please tell me what an EAC is?

They should replace the coffee at work with a good ol' Oatmeal Stout... At least then I'd be to work on time.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply