Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #351
ddc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the molds? I considered going that route but could only find bones on ebay and was not convinced it was food grade and could not find baking sheet/ dog bone sized silicone molds. With the rave reviews and growing interest I'm considering trying to make this work as a supplemental income through grad school...or at least fund my brewing making my lovely and rather tolerant wife happy!!!

Looks like you are having most luck with LHBS and pub...have you tried getting in to dog spas/ boutiques? Did you have to do anything to satisfy county/ state/ federal law or health depts?

Cheers
Sure, no problem. I use Demarle food grade silicone molds, you can get them several places so just google for them and choose.

I started my little endeavor into this back in June. The treats are very well received with both the dogs and their beer drinking owners. Regarding the law, I took all necessary steps to make this a viable business. Trademarked the name and logo, business license, insurance and fictitious business name requirements for California. I also had to buy a pet food processors license. Not sure if you have something similar in your state, but definitely worth looking into if you're going to sell them.

Also, I'd really encourage you to look into the business requirements of this as the insurance part is pretty important. Feel free to email me outside of this forum if you like.

Thanks,
Dave
doggiebeerbones@gmail.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #352
Bastido
Recipes 

Default Bacon treats

I have been making these dog treats for a while and the dogs love them.
My husband and I are brewing today and I want to make more but don't have any peanut butter in the house. So I am thinking of making a different flavor. Has anyone ever used bacon grease to flavor? If so, how much would I add?

"I saw this wino eating grapes, I was like...Dude you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #353
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I used to keep a small coffee cup on the back of the stove to hold my bacon grease. When I made the biscuits I added whatever was in the cup, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup. The house smelled great, but the biscuits were oily.
Next time I'd just add a couple of tablespoons.

If your dog has been eating them up till now, I bet you could even go without the bacon and the dog will still chow them down.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #354
Bastido
Recipes 

Default Bacon treats

Quote:
I used to keep a small coffee cup on the back of the stove to hold my bacon grease. When I made the biscuits I added whatever was in the cup, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup. The house smelled great, but the biscuits were oily.
Next time I'd just add a couple of tablespoons.
If your dog has been eating them up till now, I bet you could even go without the bacon and the dog will still chow them down.
B
Awesome, Thanks for the advice!

"I saw this wino eating grapes, I was like...Dude you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #355
MaxSpang
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is such a wonderful idea!

Now my dog can be just as excited as I am about getting into AG brewing!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #356
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSpang View Post
This is such a wonderful idea!

Now my dog can be just as excited as I am about getting into AG brewing!
I made Toby some dog cookies today. He actually knew what I was doing- and stood about 5 feet from the oven the entire time! He's not allowed in the kitchen, but the dining room is just a few feet away and he stood in the dining room waiting!

I gave him one before it was completely dried- just pulled it out of the oven and let it cool- and he went wild. They are his favorite treat! He loves grain, and he loves peanut butter, so he was a very happy dog.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #357
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Same with Guinness...she isn't allowed in the kitchen but sits right at the edge the whole time they are baking! She knows she is going to get a fresh treat and she always gets a couple little bites of raw dough! Very happy puppy

Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #358
elCreed
Recipes 

What a great tip! I made these yesterday just to see what kind of response I would get from the dogs and they LOVED them! Plus my kids are excited to make dog treats for them now. They even asked me to brew again soon, guess I should oblige them!

Father. Brewer. Baconist.
Creed Brewing

Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #359
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have these in the oven right now... Went with the original recipe of:

6 cups spent grain
2 cups flour (AP)
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Made enough to almost fill one cookie sheet pan (1/2 sheet pan size) at about 1/4" thickness (might be a little thinner)... I scored them at about 1" wide, then a few inches long (varies by where from the long sides they were)... Got them drying out in the oven now (around 225-250)... Will see how they are after two hours there (also baked them for 30 minutes at 350F)...

I have one cousin with a dog, so she's going to get most of these... I'm going to see if my neighbor, with a dog, would like to 'test' some out for me...

Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #360
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Got these in the oven. Tried this on monday after I brewed and it went great. My dog won't stop staring at me. This time I went for more of a dough with them which required me to adjust the flour on the fly. The grains were really wet. Next time I may put them in a colander to drain a bit.

Quick Reply