Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #21
fratermus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
Please, please, please, before you start your dog on one of these raw meat diets, talk to your vet first.
I didn't get the feeling that the OP was recommending meat-only. Even the most ardent BARFers (Bones And Raw Food) aren't doing meat-only.

Owners of sighthounds get used to doing their own research because (as you point out) they have strange reactions to things. Very undoglike dogs, IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I didn't get the feeling that the OP was recommending meat-only. Even the most ardent BARFers (Bones And Raw Food) aren't doing meat-only.
You are correct, but I was pointing out a previous post (hence why I quoted it), where the author stated, "I've recently been feeding raw beef and chicken to my dogs. "

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #23
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

How would these cookies be for human consumption? I don't have a dog, but reading this thread has made me hungry.

Hungry for dog treats. This is a new low.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #24
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
Got this recipe from Beerrific a couple of days ago.
I should point out that I found there recipe here: Spent grain dog biscuits - Realbeer.com Beer Community

I make a double batch of these once every couple months. My dogs love them. Our dogs stay in their crates during the day while we are gone. If we simply say "Go get in your crates" (or just simply "crates"), they run for their crates. All they ask for in return is a 1inx1in spent grain treat.

I have tried one. They are very dry and hurt my gums. They are also very bland. You could probably very easily make these into a tastier, high-protein bar with a few minor changes to the recipe.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
How would these cookies be for human consumption? I don't have a dog, but reading this thread has made me hungry.

Hungry for dog treats. This is a new low.
Before they're dry, they taste ok but need sugar!

Um, I mean, I would think that would be how they would taste if I were to be so low as to eat dog biscuits.

My husband called them "peanut butter flavored cardboard" after they were dried.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #26
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Dogs are carnivores, humans however are omnivores with a much longer and more complicated digestive tract.
Not true.

Dogs are NOT strict carnivores, and their dietary requirements, as well as their gastrointestinal anatomy more closely resemble that of an omnivore. Their digestive tract is also VERY similar to that of humans.

From "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition" 4th ed, Chapter 9 pgs 216-217, section titled Dogs as omnivores:

Quote:
Several researchers have examined the eating habits of wolves (Canis lupus), the nearest ancestors of our domestic dogs, and close relatives such as coyotes (Canis latrans). Both are opportunistic predators and scavengers, hunting and eating what is available regionally. Coyotes eat carrion and hunt rodents, other small mammals, birds, amphibians and other species. In addition, they have been reported to consume droppings of herbivorous prey; domestic dogs also will readily consume herbivore feces. Regional ungulates such as buffalo, deer, elk, moose, wildebeest, antelope and zebra are the natural prey of wolves. Viscera are considered the choicest part; therefore partly digested vegetable material is a normal part of a wolves's diet. Both coyotes and wolves also eat plant matter such as fruits, berries, persimmons, mushrooms and melons. Similarly, dogs are opportunistic eaters and have developed anatomic and physiologic characteristics that permit digestion ans usage of a varied diet.

On a side note, cats are strict carnivores, and require very high protein levels in relation to carbohydrates.

-Jason B. DVM c/o 2010

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

OG_IBU_Bunghole Likes This 
Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
eggraid101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I keep my doggie treats in a ziploc in the fridge; that way I don't have to bake them to a crisp.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #28
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

BTW, my dog loves the spent grain 'cookies'.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
Not true.

Dogs are NOT strict carnivores, and their dietary requirements, as well as their gastrointestinal anatomy more closely resemble that of an omnivore. Their digestive tract is also VERY similar to that of humans.

From "Small Animal Clinical Nutrition" 4th ed, Chapter 9 pgs 216-217, section titled Dogs as omnivores:

On a side note, cats are strict carnivores, and require very high protein levels in relation to carbohydrates.

-Jason B. DVM c/o 2010
The quote you provided only mentioned vegetable food sources as minor sources of nutrition and animal protein and fat as the primary source of nutrition. Sounds like a carnivore that enjoys sweets (fruit) when available.
I'm sure you enjoy candy at times, but you don't expect to eat candy for a meal. I think with dogs, vegetable sources of food should be treated the same way and not the primary source of nutrition as it is in most "dog food".

However you are correct that dogs are much more capable of digesting vegetable treats than cats or ferrets.

Craig

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #30
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
My dog LOVES them. I make them large and instead of scoring and breaking them, I just do them like drop cookies. I plop a big spoonful down, and press into a rectangle shape. They are his favorite treat and he goes crazy for them.

Of course, he also loves deer poop, so I don't think he's very discriminating.
The poop iz fo teh buzz and dah Kookeez is fo dah muncheez.

Quick Reply