Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Specific question about secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklinck View Post
Thanks for the advice. For the cold crash suggestion, I don't have a fridge that I can put the fermenter in. I can put it in part of my basement that will get the temp down to 55 degrees, so I could always put it down there for a few days before bottling. Also, nighttime temps where I live should be in the high 30s when I am going to bottle. Would putting the fermenter outside (covered to make sure nothing can get to it) help?
Just place the vessel outside for a day or two and that will do it, but again, be sure to bring the vessel back into the space where you rack ahead of time in case something gets disturbed. The temperature change will really have no effect, the cold will force the suspended yeast and particles down pretty quick and compact at the bottom.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. For the cold crash suggestion, I don't have a fridge that I can put the fermenter in. I can put it in part of my basement that will get the temp down to 55 degrees, so I could always put it down there for a few days before bottling. Also, nighttime temps where I live should be in the high 30s when I am going to bottle. Would putting the fermenter outside (covered to make sure nothing can get to it) help?
I would be hesitant to put it outside in glass, but if it's plastic then you certainly can do that. I don't usually cold crash, but if you even drop it 10 degrees that can work quite well for clarity.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yah, if outside, I'd cover the whole thing with a blanket.. to keep light away from it. If you have a rope handled bucket, use it outside and put the FV or secondary in it with water up to the beer level. Put bottles of frozen water in it to drop the temp and maintain it for a few days to a week... cover it as well.. just to keep the light away. If the temps drop to freezing, the water in the tub will buffer the temps to keep the beer from freezing.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
rklinck

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The beer is in a plastic bucket. I also have a really big claw footed bath tub in my basement that is never used. I could put the fermenter in there and fill with ice and water. Considering that the air temp is in the mid 50s that would probably get a good cold shock pretty quickly and the temp should hold decently. Would that be better than putting it outside and risking exposure?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you're going to cold crash or anything outside you really do need to protect the beer from light and from freezing. Read through my ghetto lagering thread, it might give you a couple ideas for how to do it. This isn't the only way to do it....it just might spark an idea with stuff you have.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
The beer is in a plastic bucket. I also have a really big claw footed bath tub in my basement that is never used. I could put the fermenter in there and fill with ice and water. Considering that the air temp is in the mid 50s that would probably get a good cold shock pretty quickly and the temp should hold decently. Would that be better than putting it outside and risking exposure?
It wouldn't matter as long as the beer didn't freeze or get exposed to light. Whichever is most convenient for you.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
ammo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have been leaving some of my beers (lagers) in the primary for up to 8 weeks. My last batch I took out at 6 weeks. I did cold crash as part of the process, but I did not notice any difference as everything was already laying down on the bottom pretty solid. After you leave it in the primary that long everything settles out pretty well. Just move your primary somewhere and leave it sitting steady for a few hours before bottling. I cover mine with a blanket to keep it in the dark. Then when you are ready, get the siphon started and slowly move it over to the side, kind of in the corner, and stick it right on the bottom edge and don't move it. As the beer flows into the bottling bucket, you will get a little bit of sediment initially, and then it will be clear to the end.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

It's been cold enough around here to cold crash in the garage. EZPZ...

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Quick Reply