Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Specific Gravity Reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
BStewie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Specific Gravity Reading

Ok, I know this has probably already been answered but I am unable to find it in the fourm.

I am going to run my second batch this weekend and I had some problems with a low OG on my current batch. When would be the correct time to take an OG reading? When the wort has cooled, when I have added it to my primary fermentator (which already contains 2 gallons of chilled water), or after I get everything good to go and just before I pitch the yeast?

I am not for sure on what type of beer I am going to do next, but I am planing on trying a batch where I steep grains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Take your OG reading just before you pitch the yeast, especially if you're diluting in primary.

Cicerone Certified Beer Server (#8004)

Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just before you pitch. If you stir well (which I assume you do to aerate anyway) you should get a fairly accurate reading. If you're doing extract kits and it seems a few points off then don't worry.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just before you pitch yeast...BUT you need to realize that with a recipe you top off it will always be nearly impossible to get a TRUE OG reading. Read this.

Attention new brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong. Don't panic.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
BStewie
Recipes 

Awesome, thats what I was looking for. Like I said I know this was most likely already answered, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Quick Reply