Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Specific grav. Question? Please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #21
Brew_4iT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To be honest I only do an OG and FG readings. My setup is still pretty basic and never have the same efficiencies, sometimes I over shoot my mark (rarely) and many times have to adjust with sugar or extracts.

Like my last batch of "cream O' 4 squash" (might change the title) I just did, I boiled half of the squashes after watching Hair of the dog brewer explain how to get conversion with squash when he makes the Greg. Even though the reading on the hydrometer had a good reading after the mash, my mash was a little high (boiled and roasted squashes actually made the temp rise) So I mashed at 160 and so a lot of the sweetness should come through at the end and less fermentable sugars for the yeast. Although I can't really quantify this data easily, my OG and FG will tell atleast a generalized idea of what the end result will be. Since it should theoretically finish slightly higher than usual. So I'm not completely blind.

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisski View Post
ok that's what i figured, but i see some people saying things like "take your og, and subtract your fg, then do some mathematical magic, and you'll get alcohol content." And that just doesn't seem like sound science to me.
okay, as far as that goes, yes...there is a calculation.

the first calculator on this site does the math when you plug in the hydrometer readings.

as you get more advanced, you might want to check out Beersmith 2.0.
Good price for great software.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply