Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Specific grav. Question? Please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
asterix404
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well attenuating, floctuant yeast and proper fermentation conditions or higher than acceptable temps. Basically, you had a very good strong fermentation, possibly a bit too strong which made is throw off esters but anyway, good job on it. If you like the flavor of it, you did very well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Please forgive my noobishness, but after doing a lot of reading on this site I've come to the conclusion that checking SG for a kit beer is probably a waste of time. Hear me out:

1.) A lot of folks recommend 3 weeks plus in the primary. In that time the beer is going to do what its going to do.

2.) Checking SG does nothing to the beer. It doesn't ferment it, finish it, etc.

3.) Every time you check SG you run the risk of infection and waste beer that could have gone in a bottle.

Now if you're not using a kit, probably would be helpful for learning purposes.

I'm I wrong here?
+1 to this.

I do take a FG right before I rack to the keg but only to make sure my fermentation didn't get stuck and so I have a rough estimate on the ABV percentage. I don't do the 2-3 readings over 3 days thing. After 4 weeks in the primary or 2-3 weeks in a secondary it has already done everything it's gonna do.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
WhiteChef
Recipes 

I should deffinately leave it for a second week right?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts

ya, give it at least another week, and then feel free to bottle it. since it was an extract batch, you can calculate what your OG was supposed to be since its a known amount of sugar. if it was a kit, it'll be within a point or 2 of whatever the target was (given you hit the correct volume).

Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

In my short but illustrious brewing career , I was a madman about checking OG and FG on my first two extract batches, then I read all the stuff abiout how it doesn't matter, so i didn't check on my next 8-9 batches, and, of course, they turned out just fine.

Once I went AG, however, I'm again a madman about OG and FG, because you can't DUPLICATE past recipes without hitting the same OG and FG. I would never tell a newbie that they shouldn't worry about taking gravity readings. I think this is a necessary skill that you need to have. However, once you have the basic skills of gravity reading down, you can certainly take a break from it as long as you are not concerned with trying to replicate batches consistently.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
wisski
Recipes 

honest question about OG, FG... in a sugar water mixture, your reference is 1 because water is 1. however, when you mix water and ethanol, the density decreases slightly, and thus the reference(if all sugar is gone) would be less than 1. So isn't it possible, if you're getting a 1.005 reading that the actual sugar/water content is closer to 1.008 or more? I mean not that it's a huge difference, and maybe it's all figured in when people do these types of readings. I'm just curious.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Wisski - While that is absolutely true, we don't go to that trouble. When an expected final gravity is supposed to be 1.012, they mean 1.012 in the same way we all see it - (accounting for temperature, of course) - no tricks of .003 for alcohol content, etc.

So, scientifically speaking it is lower than the reading, but for all practical purposes, we use the same scale.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
WhiteChef
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the replies. Great feeling knowing your not alone. Much appreciation

Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
wisski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Wisski - While that is absolutely true, we don't go to that trouble. When an expected final gravity is supposed to be 1.012, they mean 1.012 in the same way we all see it - (accounting for temperature, of course) - no tricks of .003 for alcohol content, etc.

So, scientifically speaking it is lower than the reading, but for all practical purposes, we use the same scale.
ok that's what i figured, but i see some people saying things like "take your og, and subtract your fg, then do some mathematical magic, and you'll get alcohol content." And that just doesn't seem like sound science to me.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #20
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
Please forgive my noobishness, but after doing a lot of reading on this site I've come to the conclusion that checking SG for a kit beer is probably a waste of time. Hear me out:

1.) A lot of folks recommend 3 weeks plus in the primary. In that time the beer is going to do what its going to do.

2.) Checking SG does nothing to the beer. It doesn't ferment it, finish it, etc.

3.) Every time you check SG you run the risk of infection and waste beer that could have gone in a bottle.

Now if you're not using a kit, probably would be helpful for learning purposes.

I'm I wrong here?
As a noob who is planning on bottling first batch this weekend, I think it's important to check gravity on kits so A) you know how to do so and B) to alleviate concerns you have about your batch. For example on my latter point, I had absolutely zero activity in the airlock so I got overly worried and posted messages here and all the advice was to check the gravity. And lo and behold, everything was fine.
But once you know how to do it the right way and if there are no concerns about your batch, I think your points are right on.

Quick Reply