Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Specific First Brew Q!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
JustinMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Specific First Brew Q!

Hey guys,

I've been reading this forum for awhile now, learning a lot, and I'm finally ready to brew! I just have two lingering questions I could use some help with...

1. Long story short, I have exactly 37 days to brew, is that enough time to go from extract kit to bottled product?

2. Heres a list of what I have / plan to buy, am I missing anything? Are there any items I can do with out? (Very tight, college budget)

Have:

- 5 gallon glass carboy
- Airlock
- 5 gallon kettle

Plan To Buy:

- 48 glass bottles/caps
- Capper
- Sanitizing agent
- Bottle filler
- Racking cane and tubing
- Food grade bottling bucket
- Pliny the elder extract kit, from morebeer

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to hear everyone's thought's and input on the matter. I can't wait to start this new hobby!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

hydromiter
6.5/7.0 gal fermenter your 5 gal is great as a secondary but is too small for fermentation. its going to most likely blow out the top. if you cant get one cuz of budget use a blow off set up

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

37 days is plenty of time.

for me the brew goes from the brewpot to the bottle in 21 days, or less.

1 week primary
2 weeks secondary (if i'm using it).
bottle at 21 days, and then 3 weeks in the bottle.

for equipment, you need to get a hydrometer and flask, and a turkey baster (to pull samples).

and with using a 5 gallon carboy, you ABSOLUTELY want to invest in a blow-off tube, or you will be investing in cleaning supplies.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With only 37 days, you better get brewing. Figure 2 weeks to ferment, and another 2 weeks for your bottles to carbonate.

Your equipment is shy instruments. Minimum you'll need a thermometer and a hydrometer ($10-$15 at the most).

Cheers!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 108

That should be enough time to brew, ferment, dryhop and bottle. I don't think it will be enough time to brew, bottle, and condition properly.

Fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy is going to be pretty tight especially for that big beer. Perhaps you could ferment in the bottling bucket and then move it for secondary to your carboy.

Also might i suggest you get some oxiclean free to clean your gear once you are done. There is a dollar store alternative (used to be Sun something) but they changed it up recently.

I would think you will need more than 2 weeks to properly bottle condition this beer. Sure it may take two weeks to ferment but you still need to dryhop for 2-3 weeks. So you need to weigh that in as well.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

With all of those little things you have to get what are you looking at cost wise? Most of that stuff came with my first brew kit that I bought. I spent 75-80 bucks on it? It may be more cost effective for you to just buy a brand new kit? As I am still very new to this I am really not sure of exact prices and also I know that its going to fluctuate a little by store but it may be something worth looking into.

And as a side note I just picked up a beer thief from my local home brew shop the other day and I wanna say it was 8-12 bucks or something like that? I've seen people use them on brew day videos as well as checking FG and it seems to work really nice. Can't wait to use mine!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 887 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 113

spring-tip bottling wand and NOT a gravity-tip

last bottling session, before I got my spring-tip, I lost a FULL BOTTLE of beer from the gravity-tip sticking open.

ONE WHOLE BOTTLE

the horror

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

btw... 37 days is long enough to brew it, ferment it, and bottle it, but probably not long enough to also drink it., unless you want to drink it "young".

so, it depends how long you will be gone, and whether you have someone to keep an eye on the brew for you while you are gone.

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

While we are on the subject of time. And I know this has to have been touched on before, but I am going to ask anyway. What is optimal time for a beer to age? I know that its gonna vary by style but if you guys had to average out the time from brew day/primary/secondary(if you use a secondary)/bottling/ to actually drinking what would you be averaging?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8 View Post
While we are on the subject of time. And I know this has to have been touched on before, but I am going to ask anyway. What is optimal time for a beer to age? I know that its gonna vary by style but if you guys had to average out the time from brew day/primary/secondary(if you use a secondary)/bottling/ to actually drinking what would you be averaging?
As you yourself noted, this is largely a function of the beer style, but in my experience it changes slightly from batch to batch even for the same recipe, based on small variations in my process. That said, here are some rough estimates for styles I brew on a regular basis

In bottle peak age:

Nut brown ale 4-6 weeks
Porter 4-6 weeks
Standard stout 3-5 weeks
ESB 4-6 weeks
Bitter 3-5 weeks
Mild 3-5 weeks
IPA 3-5 weeks

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers!

Quick Reply