Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Speciality Malts - Which Require Mashing??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
JungMin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Speciality Malts - Which Require Mashing??

My go-to HBS in Seoul, Korea (of maybe 5? in the whole country) has a few different malts available. Here is the webpage: Grain Malts.

I have 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing', and it says that Crystal Malt has already been mashed. But Dextrine (Cara-pils) Mild, Vienna, and Munich malts all need to be mashed. I tried googling, but I can't seem to figure out which of the other malts need to be mashed, and which I can use to create a preliminary extract in my extract brewing (steeping the grains for 20~30 minutes @ 165 degrees prior to adding the DME, hops).

The HBS supplies Weyermann malts. Wheat, Carapils, Carahell, Caramunich2, Pilsner, Carafa2, Vienna, Smoked and Munich (seen here).

So, am I right by saying that everything 'Cara~' has already undergone a mashing process and is good to use? Or are all good to use?? I know that 'Crystal Malts' have already undergone a mashing process, but which of these are 'Crystal Malts'?? I thought I could just use any so in my last brew (in the fermenter now) I used some Vienna and Munich malts, but I just came across that chapter in 'The Joy of Homebrewing' which said I needed to mash them.

This has me really confused!!!
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have a look here Bodensatz Brewing - Grains and this will tell you which need to be mashed or which can be steeped.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check this out: Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

EDIT: Since you have a limited selection of grains, i think it would be in your interest to do a partial-mash. Here is an excellent tutorial: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Last edited by FishinDave07; 09-01-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
JungMin
Recipes 

OK, thanks for that guys.

So apparently I used some grains that needed to be mashed!!! I used 225g each of Vienna and Munich. What is the downside to this?? Has this ruined the beer? The beer fermented and has reached the F.G. that was expected. It's still sitting in the fermenter and was going to move it over to secondary soon. Everything went as it always has.....but i haven't tasted it.

Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Vienna and Munich will provide a lot of unconverted starch which will cause your beer to be cloudy

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply