Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Speaking of smack packs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
GLWIII
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Speaking of smack packs

Is it even necessary to do the smack routine and wait for the contents to react? I had a situation on a current brew where the inner pack popped, but not enough contents mixed up and there was no reaction. I cut open the larger pack, also cut open the inner pack, mixed them in my starter jug and away I went. I guess I'm wondering why the manufacturer just wouldn't give us two separate packs that we open and mix. I presume it has to do with reducing the risk of infection, but we're all clean freaks here...at least when it comes to the brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWIII View Post
Is it even necessary to do the smack routine and wait for the contents to react? I had a situation on a current brew where the inner pack popped, but not enough contents mixed up and there was no reaction. I cut open the larger pack, also cut open the inner pack, mixed them in my starter jug and away I went. I guess I'm wondering why the manufacturer just wouldn't give us two separate packs that we open and mix. I presume it has to do with reducing the risk of infection, but we're all clean freaks here...at least when it comes to the brew.
It's a way for you to verify the viability of it before you add it to the starter. Necessary? No. I use White Labs all the time, and they do no such thing. It's just a little idea that Wyeast implemented.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
weetodd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you've ever had one that didn't puff up after smacking it, you are thankful for it. Just goes as a reminder to check the dates on the smack pack before purchasing. The one I had was over 6 months old. I was a little frustrated the LHBS hadn't taken it off the shelf or at least noticed at the check out.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWIII View Post
Yeah it's a sterile environment inside the smack pack which is a lot more sanitary then you mixing it outside of the smack pack. However the inside pack is just a nutrient packet and you don't even have to pop it if you don't want to.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetodd View Post
If you've ever had one that didn't puff up after smacking it, you are thankful for it. Just goes as a reminder to check the dates on the smack pack before purchasing. The one I had was over 6 months old. I was a little frustrated the LHBS hadn't taken it off the shelf or at least noticed at the check out.
I've even started to self serve myself at the LHBS for both yeast and hops(sorta like the grocery store) so I can check the dates and reach for a fresher package.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
MN_Jay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a Wyeast smackpack from Midwest that was manufactured only a week before it was sent to me. I had to look twice because I couldn't believe I had gotten one so fresh.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
MGR72
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, This is my first post, thanks for all the great info on these forums...
Anyways...

I was brewing a batch of Nut Brown Ale about a week ago and managed to break my carboy while everything was cooling to pitch the yeast. I had a Wyeast English Ale smack pack that I had allready smacked in preperation to pitch. I didn't use it due to the unfortunate disaster and its been sitting in my fridge swollen up. Is it still going to be good in a couple days when I brew again? It will have sat for about two weeks total. I don't see why it wouldn't be still good, but I could see why it would be bad too.... any ideas? Thanks!

Quick Reply