Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sparge for time or gravity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgohring View Post
Oops! Meant to say that I take a preboil gravity reading after I've hit my preboil volume, not gravity.
You also meant to say that "Preboil gravity will always be lower than your original gravity"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsratso View Post
most recipes i have seen have the OG listed. so if i have a similar assumed efficiency then the OG is the target gravity (if not just using the time method)?
Correct. The OG listed for a recipe is a target. By definition it's what you'll get if you have the right volume and hit the efficiency target. But often efficiency can be hard to predict, until you monitor your process a few times. predictable efficiency is much more important than high efficiency, but you should easily be able to get at least 70% efficiency with good process.

Also your target OG has nothing to do directly with which sparge method you use. Although, sparge method can affect efficiency. Also, stopping the runnings at a certain gravity is most often associated with fly sparging where the running gravity is changing continuously over time. The reason to stop at somthing like 1.010 is that it's an indication that mash pH could be getting high which can lead to tannin extraction. With batch sparging the runnings for a given batch should be about the same. And if you have relative few, but large batches your runnings won't go to a low gravity. Keeping the runnings at a slow rate is also associated with fly sparging where a fast runoff can lead to channeling and a reduction in efficiency.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
mgohring
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23

You also meant to say that "Preboil gravity will always be lower than your original gravity"
Geez talk about fail! Too many beers I guess...

Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mash till the iodine test is good,,, (screw time)
sparge till you get what you want in the boil kettle
and f%@k the numbers

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
itsratso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by certaut View Post
mash till the iodine test is good,,, (screw time)
sparge till you get what you want in the boil kettle
and f%@k the numbers
well that is certainly a new take on things. i like the simplicity of it... hmm...

Quick Reply