Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sourcing ingredients - Calgary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
mtags
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sourcing ingredients - Calgary

I'm pretty new to making beer and would like to get out of the 'kit' stage. So i found a recipe for an IPA in the 'Homebrewing for Dummies' book, and took it to a home brewing store in calgary. They were very helpful in trying to track down what I needed, but in the end they said that the supply for hops is very poor and you basically have to grow your own.

Could some other brewers from Calgary let me know where they get their grains, hops and yeast. Or other Canadians let me know of online/mailorder companies they order from.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not Canadian but check out Northern Brewer - I bet they ship to Canada

NORTHERN BREWER

Old 06-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
mtags
Recipes 

So are most people getting their ingredients shipped to them?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you go to the Vineyard in south Calgary? I had heard that they were about to bring in an order of hops a couple of weeks ago.

Other than them, there is no place to buy fresh hops in Calgary. So if they are out, you will have to mail order.

I have ordered through most of the major online homebrew stores. Everybody has their favourite, but I like MoreBeer.com. They are happy to ship to Canada and will even 'go the extra mile' and send your stuff by US Postal Service. Don't purchase online from US retailers if they want to courier your purchase (otherwise you will be hit with a hidding $30 - $60 'customs brokerage' fee by the courier company when they show up at your door).

If you want to avoid the hassle of cross-border shopping, there are some new online stores that are Canadian based that sell a small but decent selection of hops. You can try homebrew-supplies.ca, www.mashingheads.ca, or www.expertbrewers.com

A lot of folks swear by Austin Homebrew, which also sells to Canadians and will ship US Postal Service if you ask them nicely!

If you just need hops, NikoBrew has good prices and ships to Canada via USPS.

Anyways, there are lots of choices if you want to do mail order (including about 4 or 5 other good online stores I haven't mentioned that might have hops in stock). We aren't as well off as our neighbours to the south, but we definitely can get decent hops up here in Cowtown.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Oh, you should also consider joining Calgary's homebrew club, the Cowtown Yeast Wranglers. We have lots of members that are happy to do bulk orders for hops, and we will probably do another group buy for the club in the early fall.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

As an update, I just spotted this in The Vineyard's newsletter today:

Quote:
Hops: New arrivals to The Vineyard

We are finally able to source more varieties of hops. We expect a new shipment in next week.

Thanks for your patience with our hop shortage the last couple of years.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Nikobrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtags View Post
I'm pretty new to making beer and would like to get out of the 'kit' stage. So i found a recipe for an IPA in the 'Homebrewing for Dummies' book, and took it to a home brewing store in calgary. They were very helpful in trying to track down what I needed, but in the end they said that the supply for hops is very poor and you basically have to grow your own.

Could some other brewers from Calgary let me know where they get their grains, hops and yeast. Or other Canadians let me know of online/mailorder companies they order from.

Thanks.
If you need any hops that I can help with just let me know (you may have already I just don't know people's hbt usernames when they order sometimes :P ). For Canadian orders I just charge actual USPS which for 1-2 pounds is about $12, 3-4 for $24.65 (USD). I also deduct the seven percent coupon on the price of the hops before shipping if you mention hbt. If you're interested just drop me an email (niko at nikobrew dot com) with what you'd like to order and I'd be happy to send you a paypal payment request. Thanks for the mention too FlyGuy I appreciate it!

-Niko-

Hops and other goodies for sale! Flat rate $5 shipping store wide! So go ahead, throw in some more hops.. Why not? :P

http:/www.NikoBrew.com

"Samsonite, I was WAY off!" -- Lloyd Christmas

Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
shipfaced
Recipes 

Location: Found a stray Parrot. All he says is "good morning you ugly prick" It's not yours is it?

Just so you know Nikobrew, UPS does Canada. They are faster and cheaper.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipfaced View Post
Just so you know Nikobrew, UPS does Canada. They are faster and cheaper.
Not for the customer, they aren't. Just check out all the 'Canadians hate UPS' rants. I absolutely refuse to use UPS if I buy anything from the USA, and will deliberately order only from vendors that will ship US Postal Service.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shipping by UPS to Canada means a special UPS extortion fee: $1 duty, then UPS adds on a $55 brokerage fee, plus taxes.

Quick Reply