BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sour taste reported, smells like beer that has been sitting out for a day or so

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
BenVanned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Sour taste reported, smells like beer that has been sitting out for a day or so

So my first batch was sampled after a week of bottle conditioning... a tart taste was reported and it sort of smells like a half drank beer that sat out all night. There are no visible signs of bacterial infection. Any ideas? Its the Mild Ale Extract from NB... Shouldn't have a tart taste... She said it was pretty decent however i come home to find the bottle half drank sitting on the counter. This is the curse of the brewer who doesnt drink I suppose.. having to rely on other's taste buds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Excess sunlight or fruit flies I suspect. Hard to know for sure, what was your sanitation prior and during conditioning, prior yeast slurry that could of been infected? oxygenation possibility?

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2709 Times on 2097 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Don't be so hard on it! Its only been in the bottle a week. And it's your first batch, and we know nothing about your process. I've had beers that for some strange reason a tart flavor came and went during bottle conditioning that wasn't there before I bottled, and wasn't there a month later. I haven't been able to find any good info on why I had that experience (twice), but I can basically guarantee this beer will improve with age.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT
Excess sunlight or fruit flies I suspect. Hard to know for sure, what was your sanitation prior and during conditioning, prior yeast slurry that could of been infected? oxygenation possibility?
"Lightstruck" beer will taste skunky, like a Heineken. Why are you guessing fruit flies had anything to do with it? They have a hard time making it through an airlock.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
"Lightstruck" beer will taste skunky, like a Heineken. Why are you guessing fruit flies had anything to do with it? They have a hard time making it through an airlock.
Free standing wort during chill...

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sourness can only come from infections or sunlight. And by my experience fruit flies will become a nuisance easily, some bananas fell behind my bread box a while back and since then they have been finding every nook and cranny from my trash, to spent beer in the drain, to piss in my toilet. I saw them buzzing around my stuff over the summer and that was it had to find a solution. Easily enough just leave some glass cups out with beer in it and they will fly into it and commit harry carry. Never had an issue with my beer but from that experience over the summer I can see how they can be.

for me to derive a conclusion from what was specified without know carboy, sanitation, being from Alabama I would suspect that.

― Ron Paul

Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_4iT

Free standing wort during chill...
It could be. Infection is always a crap shoot. Ill bet if you had to put your hand in the wort for some reason it would introduce many fruit flies worth of potentially beer-ruining bacteria, and yet I have had to do this several times and have never had a batch spoil.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
BenVanned
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Used store bought spring water. I sanitized all of my brewing hardware with a bleach and water solution, cooled the wort with an ice batch, rehydrated and pitched the yeast. I was careful not to aerate while racking to my primary, I did make an attempt to rouse the yeast I was making use of an older novelty setup so I had to use a curtain rod to stir but I did sanitize it, and had to take samples with my bottling wand for hydrometer readings which i may have failed to sanitize once or twice. This brings me to my next question.. Is it not harmful to let off that nice pocket of CO2 when taking samples? Every time I took a sample i thought "Great now there is air there".

Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

what do you mean by rehydrated the yeast don't need water you mean you did a starter? Did you rinse the bleach out well after using it. The few times I used bleach I had to rinse it out a bunch of times before the smell had left.

One thing I have learned back when I was growing mushrooms (for scientific and studying purposes ) you have to make sure the environment as well as the container itself is as sterile as possible or else everything is compromised. This i've found more explicitly with fungus's surprisingly.

― Ron Paul

Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hops will taste even fresher before conditioned if you have done any late additions/ dryhop, for an untrained tongue this could be the culprit. What beer style did you brew?

I wouldn't sweat it too much for my first batch I was ecstatic that I even made beer!

For beer I have noticed conditioning is very important, almost as much as when you have your wort together in a sanitized vessel with yeast that take off within 12 hours. Wort is a highly enriched energy for anything that likes it to cultivate. Yeast are very dominate organisms that will punch out nearly anything in its path but if something else gets the chance sooner all is compromised.

― Ron Paul

Quick Reply