The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > sour taste in experimental Pumpkin/apple/maple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
jwplessner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Did your apple juice have ascorbic acid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
RowleseyCraftFoods
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Joe. So you put 3 # of roasted pumpkin in the secondary and you think it is contributing to the sour taste?
My sour taste is pretty light, but other flavour are pretty week too, so i put a cinnamon stick in the other day and am thinking about following up with some other spices, maybe honey or maple syrup, or even some fruits, like apple perhaps.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
RowleseyCraftFoods
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

no ascorbic acid as i recall. it was non pasteurized. I added it near the end of the boil.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
The only time I get sour flavors is when there has been a contamination - lacto mainly. Is there a white skin on top that looks like a spider web?
Hello, not all infections have a white skin or spider web looking stuff on top, I have a infection that is wreaking havoc on my brews right now and there is No visible sign of infection what so ever, my brews are as clean/clear looking as the day is long, but they are very very sour lemon-aid tasting.

Hope the OP isn't dealing with what I am.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello, not all infections have a white skin or spider web looking stuff on top, I have a infection that is wreaking havoc on my brews right now and there is No visible sign of infection what so ever, my brews are as clean/clear looking as the day is long, but they are very very sour lemon-aid tasting.

Hope the OP isn't dealing with what I am.

Cheers
Very true. Each one does different things in different conditions - depending on oxygen and co2. It's my understanding that lacto forms the pellicle as a barrier between it and oxygen, so if there's no oxygen, it doesn't need the protective barrier. I'm still learning about all this stuff, so if I'm off, please let me know so I'm not passing around incorrect info.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
JOE_R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sour taste in experimental Pumpkin/apple/maple

In the boil and in PRIMARY not secondary. Tasted great.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
JOE_R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sour taste in experimental Pumpkin/apple/maple

The LHBS recently told me that he ferments 3-5 days with just wort and yeast THEN adds pumpkin to the primary and gives it 10+ days. He does this with honey also. Try adding the pumpkin and sugars AFTER the yeast has worked for 3-5 days. He was brewing the Presidential Honey Ale recipe that day. That's how the conversation came up.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
Very true. Each one does different things in different conditions - depending on oxygen and co2. It's my understanding that lacto forms the pellicle as a barrier between it and oxygen, so if there's no oxygen, it doesn't need the protective barrier. I'm still learning about all this stuff, so if I'm off, please let me know so I'm not passing around incorrect info.
Hello cadillacandy, Im still new too, and I didn't mean to sound like I was calling you on anything, Sorry if that is how I came across, I was just trying to add to your post, and the only reason I knew about this, is because I have been dealing with this stubborn infection for a little over 3 months now, Im pretty sure its a lacto infection since it has a very very sour lemon taste, the thing that gets me is how fast it sours (6 to 8 days in primary) and every batch is as clear as the day is long, also a 3 hr soaking bleach bomb nuking, then Star-Saning 1/2 hr soaking didn't faze it.

The only saving grace (if there is one) is that I have been doing saison batches, and the combo of saison/sour makes a very good shandy, A 50/50 mix of tonic water and this brew is really pretty good

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello cadillacandy, Im still new too, and I didn't mean to sound like I was calling you on anything, Sorry if that is how I came across, I was just trying to add to your post, and the only reason I knew about this, is because I have been dealing with this stubborn infection for a little over 3 months now, Im pretty sure its a lacto infection since it has a very very sour lemon taste, the thing that gets me is how fast it sours (6 to 8 days in primary) and every batch is as clear as the day is long, also a 3 hr soaking bleach bomb nuking, then Star-Saning 1/2 hr soaking didn't faze it.

The only saving grace (if there is one) is that I have been doing saison batches, and the combo of saison/sour makes a very good shandy, A 50/50 mix of tonic water and this brew is really pretty good

Cheers
Not at all! I really appreciate you making sure I didn't think that. Hopefully you thought I was being defensive. Stupid internet and the lack of vocal inflection...

I had a very similar problem about a year ago. I dumped at least 5 beers that tasted exactly like you're describing. I ended up ditching all my buckets and cleaning my fermentation room with bleach from floor to ceiling. I was also using a different sanitizer - thought it was "generic" starsan, but it was different.

I'm pretty sure it was a wild lacto infection and I never really noticed a pellicle or anything else either.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the problem figured out and resolved.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
RowleseyCraftFoods
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well my beer is starting to taste great. after introducing a cinnamon stick a couple days ago it is starting to take on a real holiday flavour. O I'm running with it. blended about ten apples with half a cup of maple syrup. some ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and just introduced it to the carboy. how about them apples.

Quick Reply