Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sour oat meal stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
dangerpony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sour oat meal stout?

So this was my third batch, first two were IPA's that turned out great. It's an oatmeal stout kit from Jasper's. it was in primary for about a month then straight to bottles. I tried one after a week and it tasted great just a little under carbed. After 3 weeks I tried another and it had a really strong sour taste and was almost I drinkable. Now at around a month in bottles it still taste pretty sour.
I had a few beers while I was brewing and maybe got a little careless with sanitation. So I'm leaning towards infection. Should I just dump and cut my losses or should I hang on and maybe it will balance out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If its sour now, and it was caused by an infection, it will only get more sour.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

when you say "sour" what can you compare it to? Are you talking about tartness like a lemon, or is it something more harsh/astringent? My first reaction is to think that its still pretty green in the bottle and just needs some time to condition, but more info as to exactly how its tasting would probably help.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
dangerpony
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoat
when you say "sour" what can you compare it to? Are you talking about tartness like a lemon, or is it something more harsh/astringent? My first reaction is to think that its still pretty green in the bottle and just needs some time to condition, but more info as to exactly how its tasting would probably help.
I would say tart like a lemon. I think I'm just going to leave it alone and see how it tastes In a few more weeks. Worse case scenario ill just dump it later on down the road

Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

good call, just give it some more time in the bottle and let it condition. You'll probably be happy with it in a few weeks.

Quick Reply