Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sour Beer-What happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
jhhicks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Sours are the "in" beer. Apparently there were tons of sours at GABF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
I dont think any respectable brewey will realease a failed brew as a sour.
Plus any beer ive seen accidentally soured was not a good sour at that.

"Sours" could be the new IPA but i still dont see brewerys just tossing out failed batchs and naming it somthing else.

Could you name some brewerys that you think are doing this?
Just ranting about the explosion of sour beers coming on the market...and must of them I don't care for..

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyfun View Post
A little more info about the recipe...
4# Marris Otter
3# British Crystel 60
Willamette 0.2oz @30min
Mystery Hop 0.5oz dry hop
2.5oz Lactose
BIAB 75 minutes
Nottingham Yeast

Sanitation shouldn't have been an issue. Sanitized with Iodophor at the same strength as I usually use, 15ml/5 gallons. I fermented in a glass carboy. I am thinking it's more a sour beer than spoiled because I tasted it at about the 1 month mark and it tasted fine but weak with no hops flavor which is when I added the additional hops. I suppose it could have been contaminatd by the hops. I dried the hops and put them in a bag but when I added to the beer they had not been frozen yet. Would freezing kill any bacteria?
If it is sour, it is infected with something - doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. Probably Lactobacillus, which would munch on that lactose (and other residual sugars) and produce lactic acid (the same thing that happens in making yogurt). I can only speculate that your sanitation wasn't as good as you thought...or something got in post fermentation. With a mild, you don't have quite the hostile environment that might prevent an infection from taking hold. Freezing doesn't really kill bacteria (I suppose it might to some degree, but should not be used as a sterilizing technique). But dryhopping is a very common practice that usually doesn't have issues - hops are naturally anti-microbial. Did you sanitize the bag?

As others have said, if you enjoy sour beers this might be something to hang onto and see where it goes.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
dizzyfun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By sanitize the bag I'm assuming you mean the bag for biab? It was clean but after mashing in it, the wort is boiled for 60 minutes so anything in it should have been killed.
The brewery needs the beer in a week so I'm going to try using one of those carbonating caps and force carbing in a 2 liter soda bottle.

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #15
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I think they were implying that you used a hop bag for dry hopping?

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
dizzyfun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No hop bag used. Just stuffed the hops into the carboy.

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you've ever had a commercial sour blonde, you know that lactic acid taste and should be able to easily identify if it's present. Likely it's something that happened post boil, either in racking from the kettle to carboy, or from carboy to secondary.

Assuming the airlock never ran dry, everything was property sanitized and you didn't wait several days to pitch your yeast, racking canes and tubing are the most usual suspects.

If you get feedback back from Deschutes of lacto infection, I'd replace all your soft plastic.

Quick Reply