New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sore throat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
Fantastical
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't give it to someone else just yet. If there is something wrong with the beer they might have an even worse reaction to it.

Just wait a week and try a bottle again. If you don't get a cold between now and then and you get a sore throat then dump the beer. If you don't get a sore throat again then

You could always bring it to some kind of lab and get it tested. Might be hard to get them to pinpoint something though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
They're going to laugh you out of the store........
lol. Love this response...and am even more eager to see if it happens.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastical View Post
I wouldn't give it to someone else just yet. If there is something wrong with the beer they might have an even worse reaction to it.
What reaction do you think they could have? There is absolutely nothing in the homebrew that is causing this reaction. It is quite frankly an idiotic premise to begin with. This whole thing is nothing but then OP's ignorance and fear or what we're doing. Not from anything even remotely plausible.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
Fantastical
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
What reaction do you think they could have? There is absolutely nothing in the homebrew that is causing this reaction. It is quite frankly an idiotic premise to begin with. This whole thing is nothing but then OP's ignorance and fear or what we're doing. Not from anything even remotely plausible.
Non food grade plastic bucket leaching chemicals into the beer, botulism contamination, there could be a million things. Obviously something is giving him a sore throat and until Xavier determines it isn't the beer then he shouldn't be giving it to anyone to try.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Non food grade plastic bucket leaching chemicals into the beer, botulism contamination, there could be a million things. Obviously something is giving him a sore throat and until Xavier determines it isn't the beer then he shouldn't be giving it to anyone to try.
Give me a break....

He drinks his first homebrew ever. He got a sorethroat. He ignorantly blamed the homebrew for the sore throat. He made a lame connnection between the two, because he knows hardly anything about homebrewing, rather than looking at obvious causes he blamed the thing he understood the least about...Like countless other threads JUST like this...."My girlfriend got a yeast infection. She had my homebrew for the first time. Therefore the homebrew caused the yeast infection." (Despite the fact that it beer yeast and candida are two different strains.)

Quote:
The post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this therefore because of this) fallacy is based upon the mistaken notion that simply because one thing happens after another, the first event was a cause of the second event. Post hoc reasoning is the basis for many superstitions and erroneous beliefs.

Many events follow sequential patterns without being causally related. For example, you have a cold, so you drink fluids and two weeks later your cold goes away. You have a headache so you stand on your head and six hours later your headache goes away. You put acne medication on a pimple and three weeks later the pimple goes away. You perform some task exceptionally well after forgetting to bathe, so the next time you have to perform the same task you don't bathe. A solar eclipse occurs so you beat your drums to make the gods spit back the sun. The sun returns, proving to you the efficacy of your action.

More likely he slept with a fan on, or yelled at a football game or something that REALLY caused the sore throat.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #26
LowerMillHillBackyardBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
He drink his first homebrew ever. He got a sorethroat. He ignorantly blamed the homebrew for the sore throat. He made a lame connnection between the two, because he knows hardly anything about homebrewing, rather than looking at obvious causes he blamed the thing he understood the least about...Like countless other threads JUST like this...."My girlfriend got a yeast infection. She had my homebrew for the first time. Therefore the homebrew caused the yeast infection." (Despite the fact that it beer yeast and candida are two different strains.)
I read that and heard it in the voice of Dr. House in my head (Hello, by the way, I'm new here have been lurking for 2-3 weeks)
Planning: Wit, Porter, more apfelwein and mead.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #27
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Yep - I agree - the OP should send it to someone who can professionally review everything. Please send the beer to me, along with all of your bottles and the rest of your equipment so I can test everything at home and I'll give you the results after I've consumed everything. I might have to keep all of the equipment given that is likely the source...

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #28
cajunrph

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If the OP is allergic to the beer then he would have a systemic reaction (hives all over the body, itching, and or anaphylactic reactions. His description of a sore throat right after drinking the beer might be a local reaction to the beer itself, may be too acidic? Does the same reaction happen with a soft drink? Or may be you really do have a the start of an infection and the beer just is irritating the throat giving you a sore throat.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #29
Fantastical
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A million different things could have happened to the beer. Of course, more or less a beer will not give you a sore throat, but if something harmful got into it and had the potential to make someone sick then Xavier owes anyone a duty of care not to let them consume something that is potentially harmful.

Better to err on the side of caution is all that I am saying.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #30
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Easy solution: Just bring an epinephrine shot with you to the LHBS. If the person shows signs of anaphylaxis after drinking it, just stab 'em in the heart with that bad boy.

Edit: Sorry...not being helpful.

Quick Reply