New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > something carmelized inside my bottles, what coud it be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
rival178
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default something carmelized inside my bottles, what coud it be?

I have had my bottles aging for 3 weeks(on sunday) yesterday I noticed there was no carbonation inside the bottle and discovered that something has carmelized inside the bottle. What would cause this "rock candy" to form inside the bottle?

Extract: 7.5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Specialty Grains.
Liquid Extract
White Labs German ale/Klosch WLP029 ( I did used a started with DME)

Here is the exact kit from austin home brew

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1086&osCsid=be617d752 30ec0e02803fce052d29a7c

The OG was 1.051 and the FG was 1.014 both right where they should be according to the directions.

as per instructions I used 2 cups of water and disolved the priming sugar (used entire small package) as instructed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

something went wrong somewhere. give us some pictures of the crystallization.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
rival178
Recipes 

[IMG][/IMG]

every single bottle has this. It sticks to the bottom or side of the bottle depending on how it lays overnight. I have given each bottle a little shake to remove the stuck substance hoping it would disolve into the liquid with no luck.

Last edited by rival178; 03-01-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is just sediment. I would suggest that you place all of the bottles upright.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
rival178
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner65 View Post
That is just sediment. I would suggest that you place all of the bottles upright.
but the sediment is very hard and sticks to the side of the bottles. I'm not sure it's just sediment because there is also no carbonation in there, like the priming sugar carmelized or something. I believe normal sediment flows around in the bottle if moved, not this stuff it's very stuck to the side or bottom of the bottle.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Caramelization is a chemical reaction that causes darkening. Rock candy brings to my mind hard crystallized sugar. Your picture looks nothing like either. As gunner suggested, it looks like sedimentation - in other words, yeast. Yeast is going to settle out in homebrew, so this is exactly what to expect. Also, as suggested, keep the bottles upright so it settles to the bottom and makes getting a clean pour easier.

As to the lack of carbonation, that is a different issue. What temp did you store the bottles at? How long did you chill them before opening them? Do you get any sort of hiss when you pop the cap?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
rival178
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
Caramelization is a chemical reaction that causes darkening. Rock candy brings to my mind hard crystallized sugar. Your picture looks nothing like either. As gunner suggested, it looks like sedimentation - in other words, yeast. Yeast is going to settle out in homebrew, so this is exactly what to expect. Also, as suggested, keep the bottles upright so it settles to the bottom and makes getting a clean pour easier.

As to the lack of carbonation, that is a different issue. What temp did you store the bottles at? How long did you chill them before opening them? Do you get any sort of hiss when you pop the cap?
I have stored the bottles at about 71 degrees for 3 weeks. I chilled them about 24 hours before opening, and yes I recall a small hiss when poping the cap.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like they are just not fully carbed up yet.

If you stand a bottle up, does that gunk slowly slide back down to the bottom?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What yeast strain is that? It just looks like sediment to me. Keep them upright and at a warm enough temp for another few weeks. See what happens.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
rival178
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
Sounds to me like they are just not fully carbed up yet.

If you stand a bottle up, does that gunk slowly slide back down to the bottom?
no it's pretty much stuck to the surface, I have to give it a little swirl to get it to release. It looks to be carmelized and hard like "rock candy"

Quick Reply