Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Something for all beginners to do.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Athos56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Something for all beginners to do.

I just enjoyed one bottle from each of my first three beers that I ever brewed. They had sat in the back of my fridge for around two months, or more. I suggest saving a beer from each of your brews and doing this, its interesting to see how they age. Each had significant chill haze when I drank them at two or three weeks old. Each beer had cleared right up after a few more weeks in the fridge. Anyway, it was a fun exercise and I'm now a believer in letting beers age a bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

yup, hard to do once you start kegging, but started sugar carbing a keg to get a pipeline going and like results better.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My first batch I drank over about two months. When I got to the last 3 bottles I was really kicking myself for how quick I drank it. It really came together at that point.

I try to put aside a six pack from every brew now for a few months after the rest are gone.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Time, especially on darker beers, can have an amazing effect.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I do small batches (25-32 bottles per batch) and I've started to let them sit for two months before even trying that first one. Even IPAs which are supposed to be consumed "fresh.' Stouts get even longer.

When they hit the two month mark, they are awesome - wonderful flavor, crystal clear, big fluffy head that lasts and lasts, etc. Every time I try a two month old beer, if I drank half or 3/4 of the batch before it hit its prime, it's such a disappointment because it feels like I wasted all that beer by drinking it before it was ready.

Edit: The batch that really got me was my Pliny clone, made from the "official" recipe. I started drinking it at about 3-4 weeks in the bottles. Over the course of the next couple weeks and months, the flavor changed SO much. By about 3 months in the bottles, it was a completely different beer. Right around the time I had only 2 or 3 left, I got some real Pliny for the first time. Had to try the real thing and mine side by side. The aged Pliny, which was so different from what it was after one month in the bottles, was spot-on identical to the real thing. And that's when I had that Eureka! moment that beers do well with a couple months of aging. Cheers!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

definitely.. I had a 15% abv IPA last October in a keg. It was good then. I bottled off a 6 pack to save. Had a couple in Nov then waited and last night drank one and it was super awesome perfect. Sad I only have 2 left. Should have bottled up a lot more and saved them for a couple months. Granted- the hop aroma is greatly lessened so I'd want to have some fresh for that experience but save most for the more refined taste that aging gives.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
BigPoppa502
Intergalactic Beer King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm only 5 batches in and only have a 12 pack left of my KiltLifter Clone that was my first attempt. I agree that it has only gotten better with time. I brewed this batch Thanksgiving weekend... About how long is too long to keep this one around? I know there's no exacting answer to this, but does anyone have a rule of thumb? 80/20 rule?

- josh
Derby City Brewing Co.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Athos56
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa502 View Post
I'm only 5 batches in and only have a 12 pack left of my KiltLifter Clone that was my first attempt. I agree that it has only gotten better with time. I brewed this batch Thanksgiving weekend... About how long is too long to keep this one around? I know there's no exacting answer to this, but does anyone have a rule of thumb? 80/20 rule?
I'm not sure... Beer never lasts that long around me

Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I'm still drinking bottles of my stout that was brewed nearly a year and a half ago and they still taste good so I still don't know how long is too long.

I do know that the APA that I bottled this last November is beginning to lose some of the hop aroma though.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I drank the last of a RIS a couple years ago - the beer was over five years old at the time. It was the best beer I ever had. Of course it always is when you have the last bottle. I have half a case of 10 year old barleywine I'll be drinking once I get back to the states. Can't wait to see how that one is doing.

Quick Reply