Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > some weirdness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Frank99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What's your process for priming ? Are using a bottling bucket and thoroughly mixing prior to filling the bottles? Did the bottles that were "weird" seem over carbonated?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
What's your process for priming ? Are using a bottling bucket and thoroughly mixing prior to filling the bottles? Did the bottles that were "weird" seem over carbonated?
I follow revvys bottling thread to a T.....boil priming sugar, pour in the bottling bucket then rack beer into that. ......but yes the off flavored beers were foamy. Not creamy head foamy like a good beer but soda foamy and "churning" in the glass.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know you said your sanitary practices are good, but there's clearly nothing wrong with the batch as the problem is only happening to some, not all the bottles. I seriously doubt there's an issue with the caps as long as you have them stored in a clean, dry area. When I was bottling (now I'm kegging) I would clean the bottles and hold them up to a bright light to see if they were totally clean inside. If you're not doing this you'd be surprised how any sort of mold/bacteria hold on to the sides of a bottle. You may think you've scrubbed it clean, but if you're not actually looking into the bottle (hold up to light), you can't be 100% sure...

Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #14
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
I know you said your sanitary practices are good, but there's clearly nothing wrong with the batch as the problem is only happening to some, not all the bottles. I seriously doubt there's an issue with the caps as long as you have them stored in a clean, dry area. When I was bottling (now I'm kegging) I would clean the bottles and hold them up to a bright light to see if they were totally clean inside. If you're not doing this you'd be surprised how any sort of mold/bacteria hold on to the sides of a bottle. You may think you've scrubbed it clean, but if you're not actually looking into the bottle (hold up to light), you can't be 100% sure...
yep I do that.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you need to isolate the problem. When you're bottling are you keeping track of the ones you bottle first and last? The reason I'm asking is when I was bottling the last few bottles always had more residual sediment (yeast) that settled in the bottles. The dormant yeast settled to the bottom of my bottling bucket and wound up in my last few bottles as I tried to bottle every last drop! What you're actually tasting might be yeast. The reason these seem overcarbonated is they have more yeast than the other bottles and they're producing more carbon dioxide during the bottle conditioning phase. The "astringent" taste and over carbonation seem like what I experienced. Try keeping track of your bottles (I lined them up from 1st to last) and see where these bottles are going bad.

Quick Reply