Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Some general getting started questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #21
lady_brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I try to keep my brew room at about 70F (or 21C) - not saying that is right, just what I do... I think that is nearer the low end of the range that ale yeast likes. I find it is a good temp, and it doesn't eat my electrical bill. I stand to be corrected by somebody who is more expert than I am.

I would suggest putting something under it if the floor is colder. I have a couple of squares of insulation board ends that I have under my fermenters. In a pinch (read under my secondaries) I use a couple of layers of cardboard.

Good luck! The waiting is the harderst part.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
adamhimself
Recipes 

Alright I tossed a folded up towel underneath it so its not sitting directly on the floor. The temp was about 68 degrees. I turned up the heat in my apartment because even the apartment was reading about 65-68 degrees in the apartment. I think this should help out a little.

I opened the lid to check it and just have a look since im curious. It smelled like beer, alcohol, and this indistinguishable smell. It was like a sweet/sour smell. Everything looked normal, no weird bubbles, no lumps, nothing gross, and it looked like it had a small head of foam across the surface. It looked similar to foam youd find in a beer!

I assume thats all right.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #23
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It will get a little grosser... fermentation is messy... when you are done you will have ring 1/2 inch or more around the top....perfectly normal. And the odd smell is probably the yeast working away, but that is a guess (100% n00b who never opened her fermenter early guess.)

Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #24
adamhimself
Recipes 

Thanks Lady Brewer. I really appreciate it.

The airlock isn't bubbling that much anymore. I guess I am roughly a little less than 48 hours in. The ambient air temp in the closet is 70 degrees F. The bucket is now sitting on the towel as previously mentioned. I put a tad more water in the airlock cause it looked like some had evaporated or gone down.

I will also use vodka/brandy/star san in the next batch.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #25
adamhimself
Recipes 

So, I took a look today to make sure everything was moving along fine and I noticed what looked like little chunks (no more than the size of a dime, if that) floating on the top and little bits and pieces of stuff. This isn't the beginning of contamination/infection is it?

What should I look out for?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #26
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got pics? It's hard to judge without pictures.

That said, when the krausen (the foamy layer on top of your beer) has fallen, it will often leave floating islands of bubbles. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #27
Jeeperforlife
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

That indistinguishable smell...i think i know what youre talking about. Regular muntons yeast has a strange smell to it. IMHO, i would recommend steering clear of muntons regular yeast in the future. Ive used it twice and been dissappointed with its performance both times. Just my .02. Welcome to HBT btw!

Bottled - Am. Wheat, ESB

Quick Reply