The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Some general getting started questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
adamhimself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
STOP! Your EasyClean is a No Rinse CLEANER, not a SANITIZER. Take your chances if you'd like, but I'd recommend picking up some StarSan or Iodophor before you brew.
I've already started. I am just going to have to roll with it.

Its taking forever to get the temp for steeping grains up to 155 on an electric stove.

I am going to make an order to AHS later for their Texas Bock and to get an additional airlock. I will nab some Star San off there.

Last edited by adamhimself; 01-23-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #12
adamhimself
Recipes 

Alright, so I think I made it through ok. I did make a few rookie mistakes. I let it boil over once or twice. I went through it without sanitizer. I took my cleaner to be sanitizer and halfway through someone pointed that out. So I just went with it.

Electric stoves take FOREVER to get something to boil. I was doing 3 gallons (2 gallons of water added at end.) In the future, I am going to do 2 gallon boils so it doesn't take as long. I would also like to note that the grains reminded me of sunflower seeds in the way they smelled.

My starting gravity was 1.043 and that is spot on with the directions I received. I was trying to get the airlock in on my ale pail and it was squirting water down into the fermenter. So, not to self... don't add water UNTIL you have the airlock on and secured. Another note to self: Get another carboy. This plastic pail is too much ghetto rigging.

The directions said either to put the yeast in lukewarm water or just sprinkle over the wort. So, I just sprinkled it over the wort. It looked like it was almost going to life and eating the sugars right before my eyes. I was so stoked. I pitched the yeast at a temp of about 68 degrees.

There appeared to be quite a bit of sediment and I expected the beer to be much more red than brown. It was very cloudy. We shall see.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #13
adamhimself
Recipes 

Alright just ordered my 2nd beer and it is to be....

Texas Bock!

I also nabbed another airlock and some star san.

I was also thinking... if my grains were steeped for too long... what would happen?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

A couple of things to note.

1. Your beer will most likely be fine, but why leave things to chance. Pick up that StarSan for your next batch and always remember you must first CLEAN then you must SANITIZE.

2. The electric stove will take quite a while to get up to temps, next time you see a turkey fryer on sale pick it up! You can then brew outside and do full boils, your brew will thank you for it!

3. Good job on that OG, the fact that you did a partial boil and still hit your OG on means you really mixed that wort up well, so it should be nice and aerated for your yeasties.

4. Use StarSan or cheap Vodka in your airlock, I use Vodka so if I get suckback or dripping it doesn't matter.

5. On that order with AHS pick up some FermcapS, that will kill your boilover issues and keep you from having to use a blowoff tube in place of your airlocks. Do a search for blowoff tube and you'll see why this is important.

6. Dry Yeast, I always rehydrate it. It "proofs" your yeast to ensure that it's viable, kind of like a starter for liquid yeast.

7. Don't worry about the sediment, the 3+ weeks that it's going to be sitting in the bucket will take care of that. It'll all fall to the bottom. (You were going to leave it for at least 3 weeks right?)

8. Don't worry about steeping the grains too long, it's not going to hurt anything. Just don't steep them too hot or boil them! I do mine for 30mins at 155 usually.

9. Don't know if I said it yet but; Welcome to the Obsession!

10. If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
A couple of things to note.

1. Your beer will most likely be fine, but why leave things to chance. Pick up that StarSan for your next batch and always remember you must first CLEAN then you must SANITIZE.

2. The electric stove will take quite a while to get up to temps, next time you see a turkey fryer on sale pick it up! You can then brew outside and do full boils, your brew will thank you for it!

3. Good job on that OG, the fact that you did a partial boil and still hit your OG on means you really mixed that wort up well, so it should be nice and aerated for your yeasties.

4. Use StarSan or cheap Vodka in your airlock, I use Vodka so if I get suckback or dripping it doesn't matter.

5. On that order with AHS pick up some FermcapS, that will kill your boilover issues and keep you from having to use a blowoff tube in place of your airlocks. Do a search for blowoff tube and you'll see why this is important.

6. Dry Yeast, I always rehydrate it. It "proofs" your yeast to ensure that it's viable, kind of like a starter for liquid yeast.

7. Don't worry about the sediment, the 3+ weeks that it's going to be sitting in the bucket will take care of that. It'll all fall to the bottom. (You were going to leave it for at least 3 weeks right?)

8. Don't worry about steeping the grains too long, it's not going to hurt anything. Just don't steep them too hot or boil them! I do mine for 30mins at 155 usually.

9. Don't know if I said it yet but; Welcome to the Obsession!

10. If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask!
I second the turkey fryer kit.I know you have an academy store in lubbock
iif you do not want the fryer kit pick up just a burner $40.00

Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I picked my fryer up for $30.00 at Target of all places on Black Friday. I use the pot for turkeys, and my keggle for full boils. I can do a 12gal batch in that thing if I want to, with the help of the FermcapS of course. Oh and I use weldless fittings on my keggle from bargainfittings.com.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
I picked my fryer up for $30.00 at Target of all places on Black Friday. I use the pot for turkeys, and my keggle for full boils. I can do a 12gal batch in that thing if I want to, with the help of the FermcapS of course. Oh and I use weldless fittings on my keggle from bargainfittings.com.
You got a hell of a deal!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

r/t your wanting a carboy vs. a bucket, maybe think about it a little more. IMHO, there are more advantages to buckets than carboys, but there are threads already about that. The biggest downside to the bucket is that you can't see what's happening. But, buckets are easy to clean, easy to fill/empty, easy to stir, and they block u/v light. Carboys look neat, but are generally the opposite of what I described above. Glad to hear your brew went well. This stuff gets pretty fun.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #19
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
r/t your wanting a carboy vs. a bucket, maybe think about it a little more. IMHO, there are more advantages to buckets than carboys, but there are threads already about that. The biggest downside to the bucket is that you can't see what's happening. But, buckets are easy to clean, easy to fill/empty, easy to stir, and they block u/v light. Carboys look neat, but are generally the opposite of what I described above. Glad to hear your brew went well. This stuff gets pretty fun.
I have both bucket,several glass carboys.The bucket is easier to clean but after several batches the plastic absorbs the odor of the beer that was in it.The carboy's are a pain to clean but glass does not absorb any odor that is
my main reason i prefer them or buckets.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
adamhimself
Recipes 

So, I just took a look at my bucket to see how its doing. The airlock is bubbling now (little more than 24 hours in). I didn't open it and don't intend to until about 7-8 days in so I can take the gravity.

The temperature is hovering around 70 degrees in the closet and I know the floor is much colder. I assume that is ok for fermenting? should I make it colder and if so, then how?

Quick Reply