Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Some basic extract (coopers) advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
cyoung1112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Some basic extract (coopers) advice

HI, i just started home brewing. I started with 1 coopers Brewmaster Irish stout pre hopped kit and 1 can of LME 3.3# dark muttons. I got a Hydrometer reading of 1.34 which seems a little weak to me. it's around 5 - 5 1/2 gallons total. I used a safal 04 yeast or something like that.

Does the hydrometer reading sound right or does it sound like i didn't do it right?

and do you suggest that i use like a DME (how much) for my next kit which will be the Coopers english bitter.

I read allot that you boil hops for x amount of time but is it possible for me to boil the hops in water and then add said water to the extract instead of boiling with the extract?

Thanks alot any advice would be appreciative.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Typically, DME is a better quality extract to use than liquid. I'd suggest moving to it.

As for your hydrometer readings, you can't screw up your gravity with extract beers. If you ended up with the right amount in your fermenter, then you have the right gravity. I'm assuming your water didn't get completely mixed into the wort and it gave you an innaccurate reading.

Yes, you can boil hops in water and add them, but why would you want to? Just seems like more work. Plus, you'd have to figure out isomerization %'s for the amount of water you're using.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Papazian recommends (for one's first batch) to add 1 pound of DME.

Palmer gives an example of 2.5lbs (1.1kg) of DME for an extract batch.

I find Papazian's a bit light. When I do the occasional extract batch, I use 1kg (2.2 lbs) of DME in addition to the can of LME. Mostly because that's how my DME is delivered, and packets left open tend to clump and become a pain to use.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
I read allot that you boil hops for x amount of time but is it possible for me to boil the hops in water and then add said water to the extract instead of boiling with the extract?
This method is called "late addition" and is useful when doing partial boils.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The hydrometer reading sounds about right, I think the coopers kits are a bit low and they have "enhancer packs" to boost it.
If you want to raise it up, go buy yourself another package of dark DME. There is a very low percentage of fermentables to start with in that brew. I did a quick Beersmith calc and adding 1 lb of DME will raise you from about 3.1% to 4.0%
You can mix this with a minimum amount of water, heat it on the stove for sanitation reasons, and add it to your fermenter after it has cooled.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFisherChris View Post
The hydrometer reading sounds about right, I think the coopers kits are a bit low and they have "enhancer packs" to boost it.
If you want to raise it up, go buy yourself another package of dark DME. There is a very low percentage of fermentables to start with in that brew. I did a quick Beersmith calc and adding 1 lb of DME will raise you from about 3.1% to 4.0%
You can mix this with a minimum amount of water, heat it on the stove for sanitation reasons, and add it to your fermenter after it has cooled.
The alcohol level in his brew is fine. Doing a quick search for the kit he used says he had approx. 4% ABV using the kit. If he added the additional 3.3lb can of LME, then he's now looking at around 1.060 for gravity. Either way...I don't suggest adding things until you're a bit more experienced so you don't risk more problems.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, in your hydrometer reading, you are missing a 0 as its probably a 1.034, but that does sound OK.

I have been brewing with the Brewers Best extract kits which seem pretty decent overall and they are incorporating late extract addition and other techniques and have been turning out pretty well for me, plus you get to experience a bit more of the brewing process it seems.

Good luck on your first batch and let us know how it turns out

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
The alcohol level in his brew is fine. Doing a quick search for the kit he used says he had approx. 4% ABV using the kit. If he added the additional 3.3lb can of LME, then he's now looking at around 1.060 for gravity. Either way...I don't suggest adding things until you're a bit more experienced so you don't risk more problems.
You would have to have an FG of 1.003 to get to 4% which I don't think that is even really possible?
I said to add 1 pound of DME which will bring it up a little bit. An OG of 1.034 is on the very low end of the style.
There is a "package" kit that includes the regular ingredients and then a package of DME, a pound of dextrose, and carb drops. I don't think this would really count as anything risky because its part of the "enhanced" recipe...
If he wants to add a little bit, it's up to him.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFisherChris View Post
You would have to have an FG of 1.003 to get to 4% which I don't think that is even really possible?
I said to add 1 pound of DME which will bring it up a little bit. An OG of 1.034 is on the very low end of the style.
There is a "package" kit that includes the regular ingredients and then a package of DME, a pound of dextrose, and carb drops. I don't think this would really count as anything risky because its part of the "enhanced" recipe...
If he wants to add a little bit, it's up to him.
As I said in my very first post, I believe his hydrometer reading was wrong because of an improperly mixed water/wort ratio. That means I'm discrediting the 1.034 reading that's been given.

Even if you take just the 1.7kg can of extract he got from Coopers, and the 3.3lb can of LME he got as extra, he would still have around 1.045 for a starting gravity. I didn't figure it into beertools, but that's approx.

And yes, 1.003 as a FG is perfectly possible.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
cyoung1112
Recipes 

well i might of taken a wrong reading but ( thanks IceFisherChris) i went bought some DME dark 1 pound mixed it with water and added it and it seemed to react well so hopefully i can get like a 4-5% hopefully.
problem is , is that i broke my hydometer sampleing tube thing so now, shrug. i'll just wait like 9-10 days then rack to secondary i guess.

is it ok if i use a bottling bucket as a secondary?

then add 3/4ths a cup of priming sugar mixed with water to bottleing bucket to bottle? or just use the carb drops and skip the whole priming sugar thing?

Quick Reply