Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > solubility of off flavor esters? or will turning the brew into an eisbock save it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Dave0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default solubility of off flavor esters? or will turning the brew into an eisbock save it?

So i'm brewing my second batch, a Belgian ale (AHS 20th anv. Belgian) and the temp got a bit too hot. Now I have this fairly strong banana scent to the brew, and am worried that I screwed something up. There is no noticeable off flavor that I can detect currently.

My question is this, does anybody know if the off scented esters are water soluble ? I.E. If I really screw up a batch sometime could I turn it into an Eisbock and remove the off flavor/scent from the beer by pulling out the ice.

Looking at the following site it appears to be ISOAMYL ACETATE
http://brewiki.org/BeerFlavours

Which appears to have low solubility in water. According to this link.
http://chemicalland21.com/specialtyc...%20ACETATE.htm

However i'm quite new to this and am not sure if that is the only component that is giving it that off scent? or simply the one of the compounds present.

Also would using molasses or honey as a bottling sugar help to hide/disguise the banana?

Thanks, I tried to search/read all of the faq's, newbie guides, etc. But this question doesn't appear to be addressed anywhere..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The banana scent should be normal from a Belgium yeast/beer...additionally Belgium yeast tend to handle higher temperatures better, so dont worry about it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply