Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Soapy after taste...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Tagez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Soapy after taste...

Hello all,*

Just want to say thanks, this is a great website.

I'm currently on my fourth extract batch. My first two are finishing the third week bottle conditioning. One batch is still fermenting, the other is one week in the bottle. I tried all three beers tonight, two of them for the third time (Once a week for the last three weeks). One is a golden amber ale and the other is an IPA. When I tried them the first week they both had a soapy after taste. The amber had a problem with diacetyl, but that's another story! I wasn't worried due to it being the first week, I am now very worried. Both beers tasted just as bad as the first week but now with some carbonation. I followed all cleaning, rinsing, and sanitation steps as instructed (PBW, Starsan). *Boil went well, all times and temps right on. **

Here is a list of things I think I might have done wrong.*

Didn't aerate from pot to carboy. (just dumped)
Pitched yeast to hot. 1056 85º
Used Softened water (tap)
Bottled after only 2 weeks in *primary
Boiled only 3.5 gallon. Due to pot size at the time. *
Fermentation temp 63º-66º

Please help. *

Last edited by Tagez; 12-08-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Ahh, I remember these days. I started with Mr. Beer and soon moved up to extract brewing. But, no matter what I did, the beer was bland and "soupy" as you call it.

There are several things that lead to soupy beer. First, yeast give off a horrible flavor if they ferment at a higher temp than recommended. I don't know how long it took to get down to 65, but that could be one of the problems. If your yeast took off and fermented before it got down to 65, your done.

Next, the one problem ALL beginners make is allowing the beer to aerate. The guys that make awesome beer know that you cannot allow your beer to get near oxygen after fermentation. If you bottle, you need to shoot CO2 into the bottle prior to filling. You can accomplish this with a "beer gun" or just get a tank of co2 and fill the bottle prior to filling. Tanks and CO2 are cheap, so no one has the excuse not to get CO2. If your using a secondary, or a Korny Keg, fill with C02 prior to filling. Seriously, I belong to the biggest club in the US, and even though we talk about this all the time, a lot of people are too lazy to complete this step.

One other issue that hits home is the water supply. you mentioned "softened water," which is salty by nature. This is an ale killer. You never want salty water in a light ale. It will taste flat, soupy and generally awful. If you live in my area, north of Los Angeles, the Calcium Carbonates are 400 parts per billion, while normal households are 50parts per billion. This makes the water salty and hard. And, it is the ale killer. However, it tends to make dark beers warm and better.

To cure water problems, make sure that you add two filters; one at .50 microns for filtering hard particles and one that is made of carbon to filter out the chemicals. Taste the water and see if you would drink it without hesitation. As an example, I did the same and my water still tasted hard and like salty water. This taste is fine with dark beers and certain styles. However, because it created an unknown factor in the final beer, I had to switch to reverse osmosis filtered water. I go to the local grocery store and there is a machine out front that is reverse osmosis and it filters through a carbon filter.

Next, after using reverse osmosis water, you have to add back some chemistry. You'll have to read up for the details. You will need to do some research on what to add back, but I promise you, your beers will come out so much better than soup.

Good luck and if you follow the above suggestions, I promise you, your beers will come out good enough to compete.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
dvdanny
Recipes 

put the bottles in a closet and taste them again in a month... or better yet 2.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
drathbone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlester View Post
the Calcium Carbonates are 400 parts per billion, while normal households are 50parts per billion. This makes the water salty and hard. And, it is the ale killer. However, it tends to make dark beers warm and better.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't chemical/mineral concentration in water measured in parts per million (ppm)? PPB would be a substantial difference. When it comes to home brewing, is it so delicate that it needs to be measure in parts per billion? I've never seen a practical application for PPB.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Tagez
Recipes 

So will the soapy taste subside?

Last edited by Tagez; 12-08-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
donjonson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

What exactly Isa soupy taste?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It's probably yeast autolysis, tastes kinda like beef stock when it's at the stage of being a mild off flavour as opposed to the really rank smell of a large body of autolysed yeast.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Tagez
Recipes 

autolysis, the beer was only in the primary for 14 days. I'm thinking that's not the problem.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Tagez
Recipes 

Go taste a bar of soap...literally that's what it taste like.

Last edited by Tagez; 12-08-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Do you mean "soap"?

Quick Reply