New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > so what happens when you don't sparge gently?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
ahoym8e
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default so what happens when you don't sparge gently?

I am doing 5 gallon mini-mash + extract boils now, so I am steeping for 30 minutes at about 150-155 in the first 2.5 gallons of water, and then putting the grains (in thir bag yet) in a collander in the top of my brew kettle and sparging with the other 2.5 gallons that I had been warming to 165-170 separately.

I know I've seen people design elaborate sparging wands, and was wondering what happens if I just pour 2.5 gallons of water through the grain? I don't DUMP it in form 3 feet away, but I probably pour the 2.5 gallons through the grain in less than 30 or 40 seconds. the water definitely runs out of the bottom clear afterwards.

Am I inviting clarity (chill haze) problems down the road?

Just curious.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Your just gonna get lower effeciency. No big deal really, just use more malt. When you pour the h20, its gonna cut channels through the mash bed, and the water will follow the path of least resistance to the bottom, bypassing alot of the grain. As long as the h20 is less then 175 you shouldnt leach any tannins.
I use to ladel mine nice and gently...

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 06-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You lose a little efficiency, which really isn't much of a problem in mini-mashes. Most of the malt comes from the extract. Slower sparging gives the sugar more time to dissolve. I have this huge grain bag that I use for mini-mashes. After the mash has cooked, I add all of the sparge water to the kettle, stir the grain for five minutes and lift the bag out.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-18-2006, 02:21 AM   #4
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

on that mini mash I'd extend your scarification rest to 60 minutes instead of 30.

seepage through your calendar as you described and you'll be fine

your scarification rest has allowed the grain to convert. you're just washing out the sugars. pour slowly though.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Take a look at these threads

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10214

I think this is a better way to do partial mash brewing and I think it's no harder than steeping the grains. It takes a bit longer but will create better beers.

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply