Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So I've acquired a small barrel.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
AluminumGerbil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default So I've acquired a small barrel.

My friend got one of these as a gift
http://www.gobourbon.com/shop?page=s...category_id=27
And now has a barrel that he wants me to age some beer in. Any thoughts on what might go well in here? I've had bourbon porters, but nothing else. Any thoughts on a good recipe/style of beer? Also I'm assuming you'd do secondary on this?
I've read some about evaporation(I know that bourbon definitely evaporates) but what about with beer since I'd be keeping it at a controlled temp unlike aging whiskey should I keep DME on hand to top it off?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
amazinglarry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've tried homebrewed bourbon imperial stout, wee heavy, and oatmeal stout...they were all awesome. Don't age it in the barrell or it will become oxegenated or sour (unless you want to do a bourbon red flanders which would be awesome!). It only needs about a week in the barrell after primary fermentation, then rack it to a corny and age as long as you want.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with part of that... I would put a stout in it, the longer you leave it the more oak flavors you will get, it will evaporate some but not much in the amount of time we are talking. I would leave it in for 10-14 days and use that as a secondary fermenter. I assume this has recently had rye whiskey in it if so you should be good... if not I would put some in and slosh it around to sanitize it, I would also leave it in there to add some extra flavor to the beer. (not much just enough to get the surface of the inside wet) maybe 1 cup.

I dont understand the DME to top it off? I would just go with what you get, technically it will evaporate out of a carboy also.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
AluminumGerbil
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I thought I'd be aging it for months in the barrel and figured a good share would evaporate. When a full bourbon barrel gets opened after aging in a storehouse over 50% has evaporated so I didn't know if I'd have that issue with evaporation through the wood. I was most definitely over thinking it. I'll get on finding a good stout recipe, how do those turn out bottled versus using a nitro tap?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

american white oak is extremely strong, i don't think i'd age anything in it for months. try five days and rack to a secondary, try it then.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumGerbil View Post
Well I thought I'd be aging it for months in the barrel and figured a good share would evaporate. When a full bourbon barrel gets opened after aging in a storehouse over 50% has evaporated so I didn't know if I'd have that issue with evaporation through the wood. I was most definitely over thinking it. I'll get on finding a good stout recipe, how do those turn out bottled versus using a nitro tap?
Ive dont both... the only difference ive found is that i can hide some from myself to let it age longer in bottles... thus it lasts longer

Quick Reply