Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So I'm getting back into it..northernbrewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
histo320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default So I'm getting back into it..northernbrewer?

Due to work, living situation, and coaching obligations (basketball and football), I have decided that on March 9, I will officially be opening my home brewery again. But this time with a co-worker.

I opened up some old files on the computer today and I am very happy that I kept accurate and detailed notes and information. I will be heading up to a local home brew supply store in the next couple of weeks to check out what they got.

My worry is that they won't have the variety of supplies that I was accustomed to in Asheville NC (I now live in the south suburbs of Chicago).

So my question, how much luck you have you all had with Northernbrewer? My only worry is leaving the package outside for a few hours before I get home from work. Having it sent to work is out of the question as I am a teacher and administrators would definitely frown upon it.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I order from NB all the time and they are great. Everything is packed well and shipped quickly. Probably one of the best bets when you're in the midwest.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I've never had any issues with Northern Brewer, they have a huge inventory and are very reputable

Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Im a big fan of Northern Brewer. My lhbs is a total joke amd the next best place is 2 hours away. Its worth the order for me. NB customer service is some of the best out there!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
chitowngator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've only had one problem with Norther Brewer where they sent my shipment to someone else, otherwise they've been fantastic. Once I inquired about my shipment, they quickly realized their error and got a replacement out.

My inlaws told me about a homebrew shop in Homewood that just opened, Grapes to Grain. Haven't been there yet, so I can't say what they might have. I've shopped at Brew & Grow near I-55 and Hwy 53 several times. They have a good selection, but it's not nearly as much as Northern or Midwest.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

Both NB & Midwest in MN are bothe the best to deal with,imo. Great customer service,fast shipping,& good quality. They have more malts & stuff nowadays too.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
VABeerSnob
Recipes 

Both Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply are great if you don't have a good local store. I used them extensively until my LHBS opened up about eight months ago.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the info. I am also wanting to get a burner for outside are those easy to find? My wife wants me to do the boil outside as we just bought a new house.

Any suggestions for recipes that aren't to difficult? I am wanting to do a Zombiedust clone w/ specialty grain. My goal is to go AG sometime next year.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Get a turkey fryer set up. Inexpensive and very workable.

If you are worried about your packages being stolen, you can request your packages being held at delivery location to pick up. Then pick up on your way home.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 70

You may want to check out More Beer.com too. I've been using them for nearly a year and have been quite happy with them.

I used to support my LHBS until they grossly overcharged on an order to ship and couldn't get the price fixed correctly.

That prompted me to look elsewhere, and of the few places I checked out More Beer had better prices and free shipping if you spent some coin ($59+).

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Quick Reply