Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So I wanna try something new....Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
RunNakeDnECU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So I wanna try something new....Please help

I need your guys help. I wanna make a blonde ale and add strawberrys to it to make kinda of like a "strawberry blonde ale" Its going to be my first partial mash. My question is how much strawberrys would you recommend I use? And also should I add some to the steep, the boil, or just throw them in the fermenter? I want to taste it and be like hhhmmm that has a good hint of strawberry's to it, in other words I dont want it to overpower it.

Primary: Raspberry Wit
Secondary: Air
Kegged: nothing
Bottle: nothing
Planned: xmas ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

If you are using fresh strawberries you usually add them to the secondary after you have pasteurized and lightly pureed however since this is your first batch and trying a new method I would suggest using an extract which you add just before bottling with your priming sugar. Works great and you can make sure you have a good tasting brew before wasting the flavor agent. I have found the flavor extract is cheaper than fresh, easier and safer because there aren't any worries of infection and the people I serve it to can't seem to tell if fresh or extract was used. I used a 4oz bottle of blackberry extract from the HBS per 5 gallons of my wheat and it works out great, people killed my first 5 gallon batch in 2 days needless to say I am making another batch.

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never tried brewing with strawberries, but from what I've heard they are one of the harder fruits to use in beer. The problem is that strawberries are very sweet, but when you ferment them, the sugar all gets turned to alcohol, so you're left with a very sour, acidic flavor that doesn't really taste like strawberries at all!

This is why fruit beer more often uses sour fruits (raspberries, cherries) which will still taste recognizably like themselves even after the sugar is gone.

I'm totally guessing here, but it seems to me that to get a strawberry flavor you will need to keep the final beer quite sweet, but not a malty style sweetness. You could get that by sterilizing the beer after it has finished fermenting, then adding regular sugar, or (more easily and safer as they will be no risk of bottle bombs if you fail to sterilize 100%) just add some kind of non-fermentable artificial sweetener (a common technique in Belgium when blending lambic style brews).

I would guess maybe 4 or 5 pounds of strawberries for a 5 gallon batch? I would freeze them (to break down the cell walls) then add to the secondary fermenter once primary fermentation is finished (so there will already be some alcohol to protect against any bacteria in the fruit). This will kick of a secondary fermentation: wait until this dies down, then bottle, adding sweetener to taste.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Hargreaves View Post
I've never tried brewing with strawberries, but from what I've heard they are one of the harder fruits to use in beer. The problem is that strawberries are very sweet, but when you ferment them, the sugar all gets turned to alcohol, so you're left with a very sour, acidic flavor that doesn't really taste like strawberries at all!

This is why fruit beer more often uses sour fruits (raspberries, cherries) which will still taste recognizably like themselves even after the sugar is gone.

I'm totally guessing here, but it seems to me that to get a strawberry flavor you will need to keep the final beer quite sweet, but not a malty style sweetness. You could get that by sterilizing the beer after it has finished fermenting, then adding regular sugar, or (more easily and safer as they will be no risk of bottle bombs if you fail to sterilize 100%) just add some kind of non-fermentable artificial sweetener (a common technique in Belgium when blending lambic style brews).

I would guess maybe 4 or 5 pounds of strawberries for a 5 gallon batch? I would freeze them (to break down the cell walls) then add to the secondary fermenter once primary fermentation is finished (so there will already be some alcohol to protect against any bacteria in the fruit). This will kick of a secondary fermentation: wait until this dies down, then bottle, adding sweetener to taste.
Hmmm, you think if I went with an extract I would have the some problem with it being too bitter?

Last edited by RunNakeDnECU; 03-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

you can find strawberry essence at a cake and hobby shop if your lhbs does not have it. i don't think there is any fementable in it , just the flavor. add to the secondary or bottling/keg.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
cheeseshark
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Something like this would be your best bet.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

Thanks guys, with your help I picked up some extract from homebrewers and im just going to add it to my wort right before bottling.

Quick Reply