So I have some hombrew that's x old...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
When my neighbor gave me my 5 gallon kit it had a six pack of homebrew... it looks really dark. (the kit came with an old gone-bad muntons dark lme can) so I'm guessing that this is what the previous owner brewed in these bottles...

I hav NO IDEA how old they are... should I toss em or try em' hehehe
is there a smell to REALLY old beer that I can detect before I sip ...
Or am I just asking to die!!

hehehe
thanks.
timg

:mug: Well, they say you won't die as no pathogens will live in beer that will kill you. That being said, it may leave a bad taste in your mouth. I would give one to the next jackass that irritated me a little bit and keep an eye on his face to see if it is not so rank that you know you don't want to try it.:D But now you have a kit to make your own beer that you know will be good.:mug:

He was given this second kit. I could ask how long ago it was given to him.. and then guess how long the original brewmaster had it in his closet...
hehehe

I thought that cheap moon-shine was what might make me blind....:fro:

If it's infected, it will probably gusher when you open it. It may gusher anyway, but that's a different problem.

If it doesn't gusher, it is probably safe to drink. I doubt it will taste any good, although if it is a stout it could be ok.

I'ts dark.... I plan to open one and feed it to my neighbors dog and cause years of pain and suffering.... On second hand if it taste good I'll give it to myself...
If I can't see by monday or crap all over my new car I'll let you know.
Seriously, I think it's destined for the sink....
hehehe

Hey, don't waste it on the dog! Send it over here. I'll be your guinea pig. :D If there's a way to kill yourself by drinking beer, I've been flirting with danger for a while. I've just cracked open some 1 year+ old New Glarus Copper Kettle Weiss and Central Waters IPA and drank 'em both. Considering they've been through several moves and God knows how many temperature changes, they weren't bad. Not long ago, I had several year old barley wine. A little clumpy, but good. Trust me, it takes a helluva lot to ruin a beer.

EinGutesBier said:
Hey, don't waste it on the dog! Send it over here. I'll be your guinea pig. :D If there's a way to kill yourself by drinking beer, I've been flirting with danger for a while. I've just cracked open some 1 year+ old New Glarus Copper Kettle Weiss and Central Waters IPA and drank 'em both. Considering they've been through several moves and God knows how many temperature changes, they weren't bad. Not long ago, I had several year old barley wine. A little clumpy, but good. Trust me, it takes a helluva lot to ruin a beer.

I DRAW THE LINE AT CLUMPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mug: :tank:

For all you know it could be the best, nicely aged beer you ever had. Papazian wrote an article around the first of the year about trying several 10-20 year old beers that had won the GABF awards...Some of them really held up....

Revvy said:
For all you know it could be the best, nicely aged beer you ever had. Papazian wrote an article around the first of the year about trying several 10-20 year old beers that had won the GABF awards...Some of them really held up....

I'm certain that they are'nt 20 years old.......I guess I'll chill them when I get home and Sunday I'll have 911 pre-dialed on the phone and give one a go...
hehe

Back