Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So I added a gallon of tap water prior to fermentation...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
drrader5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So I added a gallon of tap water prior to fermentation...

So I brewed my first batch last week and when I put it into my primary I only had 4 gallons, without thinking I threw in a gallon of tap water. So my question is will this ruin my beer since I did not boil the water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
JuiceyJay
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Probably not, might have some off flavors, but than again you might not notice

Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Plenty of people top off their fermenters with tap water. It'll be fine.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I agree do not worry. I do it all the time with kits

Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I did it yesterday too, and just about every time I need to top off. I never boil the water.

Is there a boil water advisory in your community? Did you take a drink out of the tap, or wash your dishes, or brush your teeth using it....Do you feel the need to boil water for those things?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When I was doing extracts as partial boils I would always boil up a couple of extra gallons the day before and chill it in a fridge overnight. Helped with the cooling this way as well.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Should be fine as long as it does not have a lot of chlorine in it. I have done that as well but I used bottled water.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1846 Times on 1628 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

We get water through another city on the shores of Lake Erie. Soft water with no chloromines that I ever detected. works pretty well for many different ales. So a little chlorine is ok,since the amounts are in "Parts Per Million",or PPM. not enough under normal "nature" conditions to worry much about. Least of all 1 gallon.
I had started early on buying spring water from Giant Eagle (from Ohio springs) for 79c a gallon. Then I remembered the 2 local spring water sources for 10c a gallon! Works even better than the store stuff. I buy 6G for a 5G batch,putting 3G in the fridge a day or two before brewday. After the wort chill & strain into fermenter,the cold water gets the wort down into the 60's. Low 50's if I'd let the wort chill go too long. but it works great for geting down into good ale yeast ferment temp ranges.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

This is what I do for my brew days (or the night before if the brew day starts early)

Guesstimate how much water you'll need. If yuo have a 5 gallon extract batch you'll need at least 6 gallons of water maybe more depending on how strong your boil is. So what I do is take any container that won't be used for brewing (another kettle, growlers, pitchers etc.) and fill them up with that much water as you need, or if you come a little short can. I filter all mine using just a plain old brita filter. WOn't get rid of all of the contaminants but enough for my liking. After you've filled up your kettle and started a boil/mash you have an hour of down time, so then you just go and filter off some more water and keep some reserved. It's water, it's like 2 tenths of a cent per gallon, and you can drink it, so if you have too much prepared, drink it later.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1846 Times on 1628 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

I saved 1 gallon spring water jugs from the store to get my local spring water with. I starsan them & drain well right before leaving to go get it.

Quick Reply