The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So,,,,,how much will I save

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
bajarob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default So,,,,,how much will I save

I pay $6 for a tall glass of Hefe at the local brewery in my city. I feel it's worth it. Yum. If I learn to brew my own what can I expect a tall glass to cost me once I have all my equipment down? Just curious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

some online vendors claim to have kits for ".50 cents a beer" basic basic stuff.. thats obviously not including cost for equipment... It can be really "cheap" or really expensive when you starting getting into imperials, etc.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

*Laughs uproarioulsy* Ah, the naivety of the new brewer...

Don't even think that this is something that you can save money on....

I probably spend MORE on commercial micros of an expensive nature since I started homebrewing....it's called research.

Especially hanging out on here, you read about so many interesting beers that you just have to try. You want to brew a new style, so you have to try a bunch of different versions. You want to make a clone of something so you have to keep buying to try to nail it. You have a full pipeling, with 3-4 beers drinkable, but you just happen to be in the mood for a double chocolate bourbon jalapeno porter, so you drop 12 bucks for a bomber of it.

When you start brewing your beery horizons broaden so much, you really can't escape buying beer.

(Heck, I'm getting a feel for the bock style of beer, and looking at brewing one, in one weeks I bought 3 different sixers of it, one of them was 14.00 for the six- Bell's Celebrator Dopplebock.)

Not to mention new shiny brewing toys, ingredients, yeasts, books, magazines, and whatever else I can do it.

You can't escape it. You're gonna be buying gear, ingredients AND beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

LVBen Likes This 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

5 gallon kits are $20-$50

40 pints in 5 gallons.

Revvy is right though. It's like being on crack. Just racked my 15th gallon and I'm only 3d weeks in....

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah, just put those thoughts of saving money right out the window. That's simply not going to happen.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The way I explain it to my wife...lol...is that it averages 12 bucks for a 4-6 pack of micro brew from the local liquor store. That's 48 bucks for 24 (a case) that's 96 bucks for 2 cases which is basically what I brew for around 30 bucks. Although the equipment off-sets those figures but she doesn't need to know that part...lol.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, the 2 great myths:
1. I'll save a lot of money
2. I'll stop drinking commercial beer.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Yeah, just put those thoughts of saving money right out the window. That's simply not going to happen.
Yeah.

It's technically possible, but I don't think anyone in the history of brewing has actually pulled it off.

There's just too many cool toys out there.

Hell, if I stopped buying gear right now (not gonna happen) I would still probably have to brew 200 more 5 gallon batches before I hit the break even point compared to buying microbrews from the store. If I did the math right now, including gear and ingredients, well, let's just say I don't want to do the math.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
WineChief
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is why I'm stuck on Apfelwein now. I will start the beer again soon, so I fear I am doomed!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
Yeah, the 2 great myths:
1. I'll save a lot of money
2. I'll stop drinking commercial beer.
I have almost completely stopped drinking commercial beer. Every other week or so I'll stop and buy a single bottle of something that I'm planning on brewing, a "calibrator". Verdict: NOT A MYTH

You probably could save money doing this, but only well after you stop upgrading the system. I'm at that point now. I'd say I save a lot of money compared to buying. VERDICT: MYTH IN THE SHORT TERM, TRUE FOR THE LONG RUN

Quick Reply