Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So hard not to peek...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Pelican521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Default So hard not to peek...

Okay, so I'm almost done with day 5 of my first brew, a clone if Fullers ESB. Even now I see a bubble from time to time in the airlock. I want to open that baby up and see what's been happening in there!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican521
Okay, so I'm almost done with day 5 of my first brew, a clone if Fullers ESB. Even now I see a bubble from time to time in the airlock. I want to open that baby up and see what's been happening in there!
It will be hard to resist tat temptation ... But you will benefit from waiting 2 more weeks!! Stay strong by drinking a craft beer ... You need to build up your bottle supply anyhow!!

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
CUBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Take a peek. It won't be the end of the world.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
bassman22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know the feeling. Ale Pails are tough. I cheated recently...instead of removed the lid and risking oxidation and infection I removed the airlock and gasket and took a small peek, then sanitized with StarSan and replaced.

I think I might invest in a better bottle or carboy soon.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Yup. One peek wont hurt. Also, buy a better bottle. Then you can take naps next to your fermenting goodness and roll over and take a peek whenever you want and not have to take the airlock off.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
CCericola
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

To be honest, you're not going to ruin it if you take a peek. There's a blanket of CO2 covering the beer which should keep out oxygen but it won't keep everything out however it'll do for a quick peek. It might even calm you down a bit. It took me about three batches to stop wanting to peek. Now a month without opening it is a walk in the park.

I remember my first batch. Just over a year ago, and I remember peeking and having such fear that I ruined everything. It was such a no-no thing to do. I finally confessed to the friend who got me into brewing and he laughed. Told me eventually I'd stop wanting to peek but it probably didn't ruin the beer.

Now if you REALLY want to see what's going on, use a glass carboy. It you only have a 5-gallon, do a 2.5 gallon batch. Heck, it does't even have to be good. Just some LME and hops boiled together, and whatever yeast you want to throw in there. Be cheap about it. Once it gets going you'll be mesmorized. If you don't have a 5-gallon carboy, go get a one gallon one. They're only a few bucks and you can make an even smaller "watch-me" beer.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
CCericola
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman22 View Post
I know the feeling. Ale Pails are tough. I cheated recently...instead of removed the lid and rising oxidation and infection I removed the airlock and gasket and took a small peek, then sanitized with StarSan and replaced.

I think I might invest in a better bottle or carboy soon.
Your risk of oxidation is pretty low. CO2 is heavier than air and will form a blanket on top of the beer. Infection, especially after there's alcohol, is still pretty low from just looking. Unless your eyes shoot lactobacillus, in which case you may want to see a doctor.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
BrewMonkster
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCericola

Your risk of oxidation is pretty low. CO2 is heavier than air and will form a blanket on top of the beer. Infection, especially after there's alcohol, is still pretty low from just looking. Unless your eyes shoot lactobacillus, in which case you may want to see a doctor.
That's been the hardest for me, Not To Peak!!! Lol!!! But now that I seen this thread, I'll take a quick peek!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican521 View Post
There's nothing wrong with peeking. Hell, I took a peek today......

img_0750.jpg

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Quick Reply