Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > So....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Mold is pretty easy to recognize. I've also seen infections that look a little like a spider web on the surface.

Search for images of yeast rafts so you don't worry about them, because you will more than likely see some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
alebelly788
Recipes 

Its the oatmeal/wheat stout out of Homebrews Companion. The OG is supposed to be around 1.053-1.060. When I took my reading prior to the additional water it was around .051-.053, can't remember exactly what it was. What type of DME should I add? Also, fermentation has already started, its going pretty stong at the moment.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Good to hear that it was a normal strength beer. According to my calculations, if you added 2 gallons of water, your gravity would have become 1.037. I would add between 2 and 3 pounds of DME. Since it is a stout, you could use whatever kind you wanted I think.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #14
Husher
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ick. You hose must have tasted better than the one I drank from because mine tasked like a vinyl air mattress. I imagine stuff crawls up the outdoor hose when not in use and running the hose for a few minutes probably wouldn't sterilize it sufficiently.

Having said that, they brewed in open kegs 10000 years ago using wild yeast found on stuff like unwashed tools.

I'm kinda curious to see what happens. I won't toss it until you had some clue. I'd at least bulk age it in the primary for a few months and see if it tries to escape. But you might be fine. If it goes south, infection will be obvious. Just google the pictures (and the smell is horrible I hear).

Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
alebelly788
Recipes 

So I racked it the other day and got a FG of 1.010 when it was supposed to me inbetween 1.016 and 1.020.....that's a pretty significant difference and it's pretty damn watery. Is this worth keeping or should I just toss it. Also I should note that I said screw and threw in some oak chips soaking in scotch the day after racking. I figured if it's going to be another watery beer oh well, I'll just give it a shot.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Husher
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebelly788 View Post
... it's pretty damn watery. Is this worth keeping or should I just toss it.
I just discovered maltoDextrin for improving watery beers. Haven't used it yet but you can add at bottling. Someone else with more experience please chime in, but if the ABV is ok, can buddy add maltodextrin to add more mouthfeel?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebelly788 View Post
So I racked it the other day and got a FG of 1.010 when it was supposed to me inbetween 1.016 and 1.020.....that's a pretty significant difference and it's pretty damn watery. Is this worth keeping or should I just toss it. Also I should note that I said screw and threw in some oak chips soaking in scotch the day after racking. I figured if it's going to be another watery beer oh well, I'll just give it a shot.
Could still add the extract...just boil it, cool it a bit, then toss it in.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would throw it back on to boil for at least 20-40 minutes no experience here just common sense. it might throw off your hop flavor though.

Quick Reply