Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Smells like eggs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
excaptn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smells like eggs

I brewed a black IPA three days ago and started seeing lots of action in my blow off tube this morning. I keep my primary in the basement shower as it maintains a steady 67 degrees with the door shut. Tonight, the whole bathroom kinda smells like eggs/ sulfur. I don't want to open the lid as I am sure I won't be able to "See" whats wrong. I don't want to say the words, but could I have an "infection"? and is there a magical penicillin shot I can give my beer, or is to late?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Noldar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say you are probably okay. Sometimes yeast can produce a smell of rotten eggs. Since you just pitched the yeast a few days ago, I doubt you have yeast autolysis going on.

Relax, wait a while, rack to a secondary or bottle and give it a go (after a few weeks of bottle condition) If it tastes horrible mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with a commercial beer

Old 06-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's fine. As you continue brewing, you'll learn the types of yeast that give off more sulfer like smells. Some won't do it at all, but others will. You'll learn to love it. Just the yeast doing their jobs. The smell will dissappear a few days after fermentation has ceased.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
excaptn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys, I have spent a lot of time in micro's thanks to my higher ed, in fort collins and all my brews so far take me back to the good ol days. Kinda freaked out when I got a new smell. I will keep ya'll updated on anything new.

Quick Reply