Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Smell Translate to Taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Eman24dx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Smell Translate to Taste?

Almost 72 hours into fermentation of my virgin batch (Irish Red) and the smell is amazing, Im glad my setup is tucked away in the basement behind the man-cave because if anyone saw me smelling buckets 47 times a day they would think I were crazy.

My question is should/will the beer taste similar to the smell I have now? If so, might be the best tasting beer ever as I have never smelled such a good beer.

If not it might just be the Acqua Di Gio of homebrews.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
drewN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Im at the same point as you, opened mine up for the first time last night. Great smell. Im hoping so!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Eman24dx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did not open mine up, why did you so early? The guys here say dont touch it for at least 10 days. I just have a nice strong smell around my bucket and airlock. Airlock has been going crazy for past few days, starting to slow a bit now.

Also I see the head/crausen never really rose too much. I was all set with a blowoff tube and have had minimal rise, is that due to the type of brew or what?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The smell now is not necessarily the best indicator of what you will get later. Example, some of the really sulfury yeasts often have people in a panic at this point, but it fades and that taste is not noticeable in the beer. What it tastes like going into the keg/bottle is a little closer, but still not perfect. I've never had a good tasting beer going into the keg turn out to be bad with a little aging, but I've had several unspectacular tasting beers turn out completely different after a little keg time.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I agree with shooter - I wouldn't say that smell translates very well to taste. There might be a little bit of crossover but nothing to put money on.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm an airlock sniffer myself...

To answer your question usually if it smells good then it's gonna taste good....

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman24dx View Post
I did not open mine up, why did you so early? The guys here say dont touch it for at least 10 days. I just have a nice strong smell around my bucket and airlock. Airlock has been going crazy for past few days, starting to slow a bit now.

Also I see the head/crausen never really rose too much. I was all set with a blowoff tube and have had minimal rise, is that due to the type of brew or what?
Dont worry about amount of krausen. Most of my brews upon opening the bucket to package (bottle, keg, drink :P) have only a 1 inch ring of krausen. I have only had one blowoff in the time I have been brewing, and they all turned out well enough. Except for my Octoberfests, but that is because I didnt even consider it is a lager and temperature control was not considered much at all.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1856 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Even though our semse of smell is linked to taste through the roof of the mouth,The best you get while fermenting is a wiff of what went into the fermenter. It's still green of course. But as time goes on,you learn what smells will translate into something simular in the finished product. What you smell/taste at packaging time is about as close as you'll get to the finished product,& that's still off a little.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
drewN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I opened mine out of curiosity. Then quickly closed it. Doubt anything bad happened

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0 View Post
I'm an airlock sniffer myself...

To answer your question usually if it smells good then it's gonna taste good....

Agreed! But if it smells bad it doesn't mean the beer will taste bad. Some yeasts produce sulfurous smells while fermenting.

If it smells like rotten meat you should not have tried to emulate the brewer on that Buffalo Wild Wing commercial.

Quick Reply