*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > smallest batch in a 5 gallon bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I use buckets because they're cheap, stackable, and easy to clean. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want to use glass, though. It's just a personal preference and certainly nothing to get upset about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
tallgirl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
I use buckets because they're cheap, stackable, and easy to clean. I wouldn't fault anyone if they want to use glass, though. It's just a personal preference and certainly nothing to get upset about.
I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
I've heard too many stories of infected beer fermented in plastic to think they are acceptable. Very seldom do I hear of someone with good sanitation practices getting a sick beer from fermenting in glass.
I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.

Good sanitation is good sanitation, whether you are using plastic or glass. Straying away from plastic buckets because they may cause an infection is, for lack of a better term, ignorant. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all. It is just entirely misinformed.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #14
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Always use plastic for primary here, lots of 2 gallon batches in a 6.5 gal bucket, never had an infection.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I did a 3 gallon batch. I am regretting it now because it turned out great. One nice thing is a normal 1.05 beer, you can just pitch a vial. Starter is not really necessary. I might do the 3 gallon for bigger beers since I still just have a 30q kettle and that's about right if I want to do more than 60 minute boils.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x

I don't know where you're hearing these stories, but one, I haven't heard of many stories of people getting infected beer from plastic buckets. Actually, not many have proven that it was the bucket at all. In fact, if you go to the "Is my beer infected" thread, I think you'll note that 90% of the photos are from those with glass carboys. Two, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting sick from a beer period... bucket or glass.

Good sanitation is good sanitation, whether you are using plastic or glass. Straying away from plastic buckets because they may cause an infection is, for lack of a better term, ignorant. And I don't mean that in a condescending way at all. It is just entirely misinformed.
I'd add if you're really rough with the bucket and scratch the hell out of it, it may be more prone to harboring bacteria in the cracks. Treat your equipment well, and there's really no difference in sterility.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #17
tallgirl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
I'm talking about the beer getting infected from something that was left in the bucket, not people getting sick or an infection from drinking the beer.

HTH.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #18
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

1) I've not had any infections with my plastic. I'm sure it will happen some day, and when it does, I will replace my plastic. But hasn't happened yet, and I don't have to worry about a very heavy, very breakable carboy. Better bottles FTW!

2) Regarding the comment of 2 inches of beer on 1 inch of trub.... you have to remember that you are going to have a lot less trub with a 1 gallon batch, so I don't think this would be as big of a problem as you might think. That being said.....

3) I have done 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon BB with no problems, dunno if I'd go much smaller than that. 3 gallon BB are great for small batches.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #19
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
I'm talking about the beer getting infected from something that was left in the bucket, not people getting sick or an infection from drinking the beer.

HTH.
Understood, and as the previous poster mentioned, using proper cleaning techniques (i.e. realizing that plastic is a softer medium than glass and can be prone to scratching) can yield the same sanitary conditions as a clean glass carboy. What it boils down to is sanitary practices. I'm just saying, if you got an infection, blame it on the brewer... not the fermentation device. Proper sanitation is required for both glass and plastic. And when done properly, both are perfectly safe.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #20
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:

The whole of Australia brews in plastic.

Quick Reply