New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Smaller Batches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
DieselJohnny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Smaller Batches

All:

1) I was wondering if it is feasible to brew beer in lower quantities. There appears to be 3, 5, and 6.5 carboys; but what about using a 1 gal jug? Could recipes be altered to account for say a 1/5 conversion? Are there any problems with this?

The reason I want to brew smaller batches is so that I can experiment with different types of brews. My wife doesn't drink much beer, so having 50+ bottles of beer around every time I brew will hinder my ability to try new brews. Once I get the hang of it, I'll probably jump up to the larger quantities fermentors.

2) Along those lines, is there a maximum amount of space you can't exceed in the primary fermentor between the brew and the top. I've only seen 2g pail fermentors as the next closest to 1g. So would there be to much space to brew 1g of liquid in a 2g primary fermentor?

I'm obviously new to home brewing, so I apologize if I'm at all confusing.

Thanks for your insights.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A 2 gallon pail will work perfect for a one gallon batch. I know what you mean about having 50+ bottles around. I am dropping down to smaller batched also.

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

A lot of us do it...One thing you can do is experiment with doing all grain n your stovetop with an unmodified 2 gallon cooler and a 5 gallon pot...

I posted some recipes in the MR beer thread for that....

Do a search for small batches...there's been a bunch of threads recently.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 55

i just brewed a a batch that is .70 gallons, the brew time was cut in half. I used two 1/2 gallon Rogue Dead Guy bottles. A good way to experiment with malts and hops. I just put the small batch in a keg and carb it the same way I would for 5 gallons. You can do this or start drinking more...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find it takes me about zero time to go through a 2.5 gallon batch, so you might try doing 2.5 gallons in a 3 gal carboy or Mr Beer first, and then step down smaller if you find you want to. 2.5 gallons is convenient because you can do a full boil in a 3 gallon pot on the stove top, you can mash in a small cooler with a grain bag (I use a 5 gal paint strainer bag), and you can take any 5 gallon recipe and simply divide everything in half, which keeps the math simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I find it takes me about zero time to go through a 2.5 gallon batch, so you might try doing 2.5 gallons in a 3 gal carboy or Mr Beer first, and then step down smaller if you find you want to. 2.5 gallons is convenient because you can do a full boil in a 3 gallon pot on the stove top, you can mash in a small cooler with a grain bag (I use a 5 gal paint strainer bag), and you can take any 5 gallon recipe and simply divide everything in half, which keeps the math simple.
I agree, I don't know that I would ever go any lower than 2.5 gallons...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Like this one?
Janitorial & Painting > Equipment & Supplies > Painting Tools > Reusable Paint Strainer,Size 5 Gal,Pk 2 : Grainger Industrial Supply
Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 11-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah. They are like $3 a 2-pack at Home Depot or Lowe's, they are by the spray painters. I use them for hop bags too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply