Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Smaller batch mash scaling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
101DDD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Smaller batch mash scaling?

So I've got those Mr. Beer fermenters, and I'm not looking to more/different fermenters, and I like being able to do smaller batches and try different things. I'm doing partial mashes now, but I'm seeing more and more that I'm one small step away from all grain.

So my question is, can you still get good efficiencies from smaller batches or is it too difficult to get the water amount right? Anybody got any good water to grain ratios for mash water & sparge water?

Thanks for the assist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use 1.3 quarts of water per pound of grain for mashing and the amount of sparge water is going to be dependant on the size of the fermenter. I don't see why you would have low efficiency if you do everything correctly. I know you said you don't want different fdd.enters but they ARE very cheap... And when you experiment with 5 gallons and it comes out great hou will have more to drink and share. You can also download some software to help you with the water/grain amounts.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

the proportions of everything are the same, regardless of quantity

Taps:
1: Honey Malt APA
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee

Fermenting: Hoegarden Saison, German Pilsner

Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
101DDD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
I use 1.3 quarts of water per pound of grain for mashing and the amount of sparge water is going to be dependant on the size of the fermenter. I don't see why you would have low efficiency if you do everything correctly. I know you said you don't want different fdd.enters but they ARE very cheap... And when you experiment with 5 gallons and it comes out great hou will have more to drink and share. You can also download some software to help you with the water/grain amounts.
That's very helpful. I agree that fermenters are cheap, I honestly just don't want to make batches that big. I enjoy my beers liberally over months and friends don't return the bottles! So, making smaller batches allows me to keep the costs lower all around. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply