New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A small head of krausen in my secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
biggben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default A small head of krausen in my secondary

yesterday i just racked my winter warmer into my secondary and had some sediment get into it as well some bubbles that were caused by my siphon pulling out of the wort.
my question is today i came in to check on it and noticed that there was a small head of foam or krausen in my secondary is this normal?
this is my second brew ever and its got a high over all gravity of 1.071. also it was still bubbling a few bubbles a minute when i racked it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's still fermenting it sounds like. How long did you leave it in primary? Secondary is only somewhat useful if you let it ferment completely and settle in primary, then rack to secondary to help clear it more. Many people, including myself, only primary. 2-4 weeks in primary, then off to keg or bottles. I hate how directions tell you to primary for a few days then rack to secondary. That is pointless.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Probably dissolved CO2 coming out of solution.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
biggben
Recipes 

the recipe said to primary for 7 days so i just did as the recipe read. the only other one that i have done was a wheat beer which was done fermenting it seemed pretty quick. this one on the other hand after a week was still chugging about 2-3 bubbles a min. also recipe said it should be 7% but my readings were 1.073 before yeast and after the seven days it was 1.013. is a week to early?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It depends on a lot of variables. Sometimes it can be done in a few days, sometimes it may take a couple weeks or more to finish fermenting completely and settle out. 1.013 sounds about right for that though, but it could go a little more (I don't know all the variables). Since it sounds like it was near done fermenting, it could just be CO2 coming out of solution as smizak said. Regardless, I still think primary should be 2 weeks minimum.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

If it is a new krausen then thatm means fermentation was complete before you racked it over. You racked too soon. You can't brew based on what someone writes as instructions. Yeast don't know how to read so they seldom follow their scripts. They dance to their own tune and its seldom 4 x 4 Time. The way to know when a beer is done when 2 consequitive hydro readings over 3 days stay the same.

If you arbitrarily move your beer, like to follow the silly 1-2-3 rule, you will often interrupt fermentation. Because sometimes the yeast won't even begin to ferment your beer until 72 hours after yeast pitch, so if you rush the beer off the yeast on day 7 then you are only allowing the yeast 4 days to work, and that is really not enough time to get the job done.

Actually taking it off the yeast too soon prevents some much needed cleanup (and the true secondary fermentation period) from happenning. That's why many of us have opted for LONG primary/No secondary. Instead of rushing the beer off the yeast cake before the job is done. The yeast are very tenacious creatures, and if we actually leave them the heck alone, and not move them too soon, they will actually clean up after themselves, and remove their own waste/by products of fermentation, and actually will lead to cleaner, clearer and fresher tasting beers.

Moving it during fermentation more often than not has led to stuck fermentations.....And off flavors. Or extra krausens....

You'll find that more and more recipes these days do not advocate moving to a secondary at all, but mention primary for a month, which is starting to reflect the shift in brewing culture that has occurred in the last 4 years, MOSTLY because of many of us on here, skipping secondary, opting for longer primaries, and writing about it. Recipes in BYO have begun stating that in their magazine. I remember the "scandal" it caused i the letters to the editor's section a month later, it was just like how it was here when we began discussing it, except a lot more civil than it was here. But after the Byo/Basic brewing experiment, they started reflecting it in their recipes.

Next time if you do opt to move to secondary, take 2 reading over 3 days and if they are the same then move it. I usually don't advocate taking the first reading til the 10th day. But if I do rack, I don;t rack til it's been in primary 2 weeks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
biggben
Recipes 

here is a picture of the head that has formed in my secondary.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Yep, that's a krausen alright.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #9
biggben
Recipes 

so does this mean that it will be allright? its at 8.3% abv and its still fermenting! yikes it taste okay though lol

Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
kcpaige89
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggben View Post
so does this mean that it will be allright? its at 8.3% abv and its still fermenting! yikes it taste okay though lol
Did you adjust hydro readings for temp? It may not be as high as you think it is. At 8.3% you'd probably have a "hot alcohol" flavor to it, which I personally wouldn't say tastes alright.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Also, I only calculate a 7.7% ABV with http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php.

Primary: Eagerly Waiting to have one.
Secondary:
Bottled:
Up Next: Get Equipment, and make some Cider, a Pumpkin Ale, A Holiday Ale or Porter, A Stout, An IPA, an Amber Ale, and some mead.

"We are brewers and always have been; and in our brewing we have sought, and we seek, to ally the traditions and craftsmanship of the past with the best that science has to teach us." - Rupert Guinness

Quick Reply