Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Small-Batch IPA Recipe Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Enoch52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Small-Batch IPA Recipe Help

I'm making a series of five 1-gallon IPA's. The grain bill will be 1.2 light DME and 0.2 lbs carapils. It's a bit light on OG and ABV for an IPA, but since I'm looking to profile the hops I'm not too worried about it. I've got an ounce each of Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight, Mosaic and Citra.

What do you all think about a hop schedule? I'm tempted to use the same schedule for each, but the AA% varies pretty greatly between varietals and I'm concerned about the amount of bittering--a quantity that might make one too sweet may make another super bitter.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would use the same bitterness addition for everything. Get a 1oz pack of something in the 12-15% range (Nugget, Magnum, Millenium, CTZ) and divide into 5 even piles. That will get you 40-50 IBUs, which is in the right range for your gravity. More importantly, what's the plan on the 1 ounce?

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not sure yet: if I use the same bittering hops for all five (which makes sense, considering I want to profile the flavor/aroma of the hops) the hop schedule is pretty wide-open. Maybe a quarter-ounce at 20, 10, flameout and dry-hop? Or .2oz at 15, 10, 5, flameout and dry hop?

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Quick Reply