Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Small amount of chlorine sanitiser suckback in 1 gallon batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Peppers16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Small amount of chlorine sanitiser suckback in 1 gallon batch

Hi, I'm sorry; I know that you will have been asked this a thousand times before but most of the posts I came across involved no-rinse sanitisers (starsan, iodophor and the like) so just wanted some advice before I revert to a RDWHAHB state.

Being the foolish noob that I am, I accidentally caused a bit of suck-back on some chlorine-based sanitiser (I know I should have used vodka or tap water... Now I know why) into a 5 litre (just over 1 gallon) batch of ginger beer. It was about a 3rd of the contents of a very small 3 piece airlock, and the solution itself was made up with no more than a quarter of a teaspoon in excess water.

I'm guessing even in a smaller batch this shouldn't be a problem after a week of fermentation, but as the instructions state the usual "harmful if swallowed, seek medical advice" I thought I should check.
The instructions also say chlorine gas will be released if it contacts acid, and I've got 4 lemons of juice in there. Will this sort things out do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Just monitor the fermentation, as long as the chlorine hasn't killed the yeast, everything else SHOULD be ok. Personally, I keep bleach away from my brewery/winery.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Peppers16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah, sadly I'm still waiting for a UK site to stock star-san and am making do with the chlorine-based stuff that came with my kit in the mean time. This is only my second brew so despite a lot of reading I'm still making rookie errors :-(

Quick Reply