Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Smack Pack - dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
ChickenSoop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smack Pack - dead?

My smack pack did not swell in 12 hours. Maybe 10-25% max. It could possibly have frozen during the trip, but not sure. It was sent by mail. The date on the pack is 1 month ago.

I will make a starter, can anyone provide any tips?

Mr Malty says to use 3 liters of water, so I'll put in 1.5 cups of malt, and see what happens in 24 hours.

Any other recommendations, like maybe yeast energizer, or a little defibrillator will help these guys out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
3bals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had this happen twice to me. The first time, it did swell a little like yours, but that was it, so I made a starter with it and all was fine. The second time, it didn't swell at all. I made a starter with it and nothing there either. The liquid/yeast just seperated and settled out. No bubbling at all.

I switched to dry yeast and make starters now.

Jody

"The only thing wrong with doing nothing is you never know when you're finished"

Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can see if it will start with a starter. But if it takes more than three days to start fermenting, tread carefully (smell it or taste it or something first) -- it might be wild yeast and bacteria. I made this mistake once and ended up dumping a batch.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bals View Post
I switched to dry yeast and make starters now.

Sorry to jump in but wouldn't it be easier and just as economical to double pitch if you need more yeast? I mean, dry yeast is $1 and the time and materials it takes to make a starter would probably out weigh that expense...IMO.

Back to the thread!

I have had this happen to me, and just like the other guys said, I made a starter and things worked just fine.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks.

Local brew store had the same yeast there, for once which is rare, so I'll grab it tomorrow and just double pitch.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
3bals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post

Sorry to jump in but wouldn't it be easier and just as economical to double pitch if you need more yeast? I mean, dry yeast is $1 and the time and materials it takes to make a starter would probably out weigh that expense...IMO.

Back to the thread!

I have had this happen to me, and just like the other guys said, I made a starter and things worked just fine.

It very well could be cheaper. I don't know alot, as I'm one of those Noobs here.
But, here a pack of dry yeast costs $2-$3, 650 ml of water is almost free (unless I dip it out of the lake, then it would be free) and a 1/2 cup of DME cant cost too much, when a 3 lb bag of it costs $11. The time that it takes is insignificant as is the little bit of natural gas it takes to heat it. Besides that by making a starter, then I know for sure even the dry yeast is valid.

Jody

"The only thing wrong with doing nothing is you never know when you're finished"

Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got it figured out why it did not swell up. I just made a starter for this failed smack pack, and when I opened the yeast pack, only one of those internal packs was open, one was still closed. I squeezed and squeezed and I though I got them both.

I should be on track now for a brew day tomorrow, hopefully when my starter takes off.

Quick Reply