Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sludge
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Niksput
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 9
Default Sludge

In my fermentation bucket, a thick brown sludge has built up around the edges of the bucket. It was not there 4 hours ago. The brew itself looks perfectly golden, bubbly and normal, but the sludge is worrying. Is this common? Thanks

edit: Upon further inspection it appears to be the residue from the initial bubbles... can anyone shed some light on the subject?

__________________

Last edited by Niksput; 07-15-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Niksput is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
peterfuse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
peterfuse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Belfast, Ireland
Posts: 225
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

This is known as krausen. Perfectly normal and happens on every single batch that i brew. This will drop down when primary fermentation comes to an end.

__________________

is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

peterfuse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 42,782
Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

+1 to peterfuse. I'm assuming this is your first batch? Kraussen is a part of every brew. Some can look beautiful like a creamy frothy head on a pint, others, and most, will look quite gross. It will fall.

__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo
IrregularPulse is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Niksput
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 9
Default

Thankyou. I thought it was probably fine, but I like to be sure :P

__________________

99% of people love beer. The remaining 1% do not have tastebuds.

Niksput is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Niksput
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 9
Default

This is my 2nd batch, but I can't remember there being any kraussen on my first, thanks again

__________________

99% of people love beer. The remaining 1% do not have tastebuds.

Niksput is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mattmcl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 727
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

The fermentation activity causes the volume of the wort to expand, so you will often see a brown crusty ring an inch or more above the level of your wort. That's because the krausen rose, deposited that ring, then sank back down. It's actually called "high krausen" at that point. Kinda like the ring around the bathtub.

__________________
mattmcl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fruit Sludge pizzaman Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-12-2009 05:41 PM
keep yeast sludge? docmoran All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 04-12-2009 08:05 PM
Hop sludge in wort Fuzzyfella Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-06-2009 03:06 PM
Hop Sludge Hophazard Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-12-2009 04:15 PM
Hop Sludge iggy_fenton Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-30-2006 12:38 AM