The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slow starting wyeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Quyzi
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Slow starting wyeast?

I'm using wyeast ringwood ale 1187. I made the mistake of not getting it started soon enough before brewing and I pitched it before it expanded. It did expand a little, but not much. Now ~26 hours in the primary, and it's not yet showing any signs of fermentation. No airlock bubbling, no krausen (though there was a little a few hours ago. Very little), no nothing. It's not quite as warm as I'm used to it being during fermentation either. Should I be concerned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

See the first sticky thread in the forum... then RDWHAHB.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

What was the date on the yeast and at what temp do you have your vessel? Shouldn't be overly concerned as it will probably take off soon anyways but if if the yeast was old it may take longer as there are less viable cells to work with and if it's too cold you may need to warm it up a bit

Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASTiK View Post
See the first sticky thread in the forum... then RDWHAHB.
If I had a HB to drink, I would be. Sadly, I drank the last few the other night. It feels... wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
What was the date on the yeast and at what temp do you have your vessel? Shouldn't be overly concerned as it will probably take off soon anyways but if if the yeast was old it may take longer as there are less viable cells to work with and if it's too cold you may need to warm it up a bit
I believe that the date on the yeast was 12APR18. I don't have the package anymore though . Not sure on the temp; I've got it in my glass carboy wrapped in a heavy winter coat. It's slightly warmer than room temperature, though. It's been about 36 hours since I pitched it, showing no signs. There is definitely plenty of sugars in there for it to eat up.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I had one take 68 hours to take off. I wouldnt take action til 72 hours had passed.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How well was it aerated? That could be a problem too

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfowlks View Post
How well was it aerated? That could be a problem too
Well, we poured it from the stock pot into a funnel in the carboy, then added the rest of the water the same way. It should be aerated nicely.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Quyzi

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyzi View Post
Well, we poured it from the stock pot into a funnel in the carboy, then added the rest of the water the same way. It should be aerated nicely.
Not sure if this means anything, but the fermenter appears to have negative pressure. It's sucking the airlock water up slowly. I've replaced it with vodka for now. I also took a tiny sample (half a shot glass) and tasted it. Didn't taste any alcohol, or very little. I didn't have enough to get a gravity reading. It's been ~27 hours since pitching now.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Wyeast packs don't need to swell at all, but they do recommend letting them swell at least 1/2 inch just to guarantee the yeast is still healthy before pitching. If you got some swelling then all should be good. That brings up another question though... I wonder if the swelling time is also about getting the yeast to room temperature before pitching so you don't shock them with a sudden temp change? Anyway, I would roll with what all the experience here suggests and just wait the 72 hours before taking further action. And if you're current yeast doesn't take off you've learned a valuable lesson that you can pass on to the next "my yeast won't start" thread.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
CTS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just had a Belgian wit that took 48hrs to show any signs. Now I have krassen all over the place. Just wait it out a bit. I also shook the fermenter and that seemed to help it along.

Quick Reply