Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slow-to-no activity... Re-pitch? Wait it out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Slow-to-no activity... Re-pitch? Wait it out?

Brewed the stout from this thread yesterday: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/feed...-stout-340227/ ... First time using a starter, which did about ~ 30 hours on the stir plate. Wyeast CA Lager 2112, 1 smack pack. Didn't settle out the yeast, just pitched the whole 1L of wort straight from the stir plate.

Woke up this morning expecting some activity as I've seen in previous no-starter pitches, and this is what I currently have at about ~11 hours after pitching. Having a bit of a "is my beer ruined?" moment.

Common HBT advice would be to wait it out, but I'm just curious how long I should wait before I consider re-pitching?

70144d1343653061-feedback-idea-christmas-fruitcake-stout-img_1041.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellosluggo
Brewed the stout from this thread yesterday: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/feed...-stout-340227/ ... First time using a starter, which did about ~ 30 hours on the stir plate. Wyeast CA Lager 2112, 1 smack pack. Didn't settle out the yeast, just pitched the whole 1L of wort straight from the stir plate.

Woke up this morning expecting some activity as I've seen in previous no-starter pitches, and this is what I currently have at about ~11 hours after pitching. Having a bit of a "is my beer ruined?" moment.

Common HBT advice would be to wait it out, but I'm just curious how long I should wait before I consider re-pitching?
48 hours, minimum. Lager yeasts can take a bit to really get going.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I understand the lager yeast issue... I know this it a very, very noob question to ask, but I can't resist: Do the "clusters" in the photo look like normal early activity? Like I said before, I'm used to pitching straight from the vial/packet and I usually see pretty vigorous activity early on. Having used a starter, I was hoping that the yeast was already going.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here we are at ~36 hours in... It has about a .75" krausen, and no "explosive" activity—not sure if I should have even bothered with a blowoff hose, but it's in place. Definitely still seems slow. Temps are in the 66-or-so degree range.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tonight and see how it looks. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

img_1043.jpg   img_1044.jpg  

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellosluggo
Here we are at ~36 hours in... It has about a .75" krausen, and no "explosive" activity—not sure if I should have even bothered with a blowoff hose, but it's in place. Definitely still seems slow. Temps are in the 66-or-so degree range.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tonight and see how it looks. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
That looks like.....fermentation. Completely normal and I'll insert the mandatory RDWHAHB.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Dont worry! It look fine!! lager yeast does not ferment the same as ale yeast, i have found it much more docile then ale yeast.
By the way what yeast did you go for?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Kraussen=fermentation. Bask in the glory of the beasties, and drink beer to pass the time while you wait.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 170

That looks perfect. I would say to NOT take a gravity reading tonight. Why add the chance of infection. Wait until the krausen drops or when final gravity should be reached (min 7 day or better about 20 days) then check.

ALWAYS start with a blow off tube, why risk having to clean krausen off the ceiling?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10
That looks perfect. I would say to NOT take a gravity reading tonight. Why add the chance of infection. Wait until the krausen drops or when final gravity should be reached (min 7 day or better about 20 days) then check.

ALWAYS start with a blow off tube, why risk having to clean krausen off the ceiling?
Spoken like a man with some experience in the area! It is amazing what a mess it makes - blow off tube for every batch for me as well.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the input, y'all! The yeast was Wyeast California Lager 2112. First time with a lager yeast, and first time with a starter so yeah, noob affliction. All my previous experience has been with ale yeasts, so I guess they like to get crazy right off the bat.

I'll put off taking a reading until the weekend at the earliest, just depending on how things look.

One minor question—there's absolutely no activity going on thru the blowoff into the bucket (as one would see with a regular airlock). Would this simply be because of the lager yeast and the extra headspace created by the 1" hose?

Quick Reply