Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slow Fermenting Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
DesioMedia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow Fermenting Ale?

Hi,

I am currently in the middle of my first brew, Dry Irish Stout, and am totally hooked on Home Brewing. In ~10 days I am going to be ready to bottle my stout and want to start my next brew. However, I am leaving for europe on the 21st of june and don't get back until the first of august. I am only using a primary fermenter as of now and don't have a secondary. I won't be able to have someone come in and bottle while I'm gone. What would be an ale that takes a long to to mature or ferment? Right now I'm really in to heffe's, steams, and ambers.

Thanks,
Alex

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Dark, high gravity ales can benefit from a long aging process. You could brew almost anything right now, rack it to secondary right before you leave, and bottle when you return. If my math is correct that would be a couple weeks in primary and around five weeks in secondary. I wouldn't do this with a hefe but you could make a great amber this way.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Buy a secondary and put it somewhere where it will stay cool. Make sure it is a beer that does well with aging. Some beers are better young. I do not age my pale ales long at all. Some of my stouts will age for months.

You could also brew a pale ale and probably have it in a bottle by then. The BRewers Best kit can be in the bottle in 10 days or less. I have done it many times. They have the recipe on their website.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions

Old 06-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
DesioMedia
Recipes 

I guess I am asking which beers need or are complimented by a long time in the fermenter. Which beers would be hurt by a long time in the fermenter. I am not really in the position to make a quick brew.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you leave it in the primary til you get back it will be fine, it will be nice and crystal clear, I leave mine in primary for a month now, and they are excellent, becasue the yeasts clean up after themselves...

BUT another thing you could consider doing is, if around the 18th or 19th, hydro reading are consistant for 3 days, and fermentation is complete, then I'd go ahead and bottle and put it away...that way you will have it bottle conditioned and carbed when you get back.

That way you'll haven early 14 days on the yeast (if you bottle on the 19th or 2th) then a month bottle conditioning...That will make for a nice beer... (But only do that if fermentation is complete on the 18th/19th) otherwise just leave it alone (unless you spring for a secondary, then rack it on the 18th)..

But me? I'd bottle before you leave, so you have a nice homecoming present.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply