The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slow fermentation, when is it stuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Gluten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow fermentation, when is it stuck?

I've had my batch in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks now. I kept my first sample in a flip-top (lid on with no clamp) just so I could hydro it now and again. I did the same with my second sample at 1 1/2 weeks in.

That second sample is sticking at .020 and there is no airlock activity in the primary (I know both of these are not good indicators). I'm just wondering how long I should wait before I take a 3rd sample, determine whether or not it's stuck, and start taking measures to wake the yeasties up (if they are in fact stuck).

I'm using Nottingham on 6lb sorghum and 1lb honey. It's probably just the honey taking it's sweet time to ferment out, but even if that is the case my 60 degree F basement may be hampering the process.

So leave it be for another week, or take a sample soon so see if the primary matches the satellite, or move it to a warmer spot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You are right about the honey, it takes a long long time to ferment. Just leave it be for at least another week before messing with it again. Warming it a bit won't hurt as long as it's not a huge temperature spike but you're probably fine as it, just needs time.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Satellite sampling often doesn't work. I would check the primary before coming to any conclusions. I would say it is stuck if the SG doesn't budge over a 3 or 4 day span and you are still a few points or more above your target FG.

Also, honey is pretty slow, yes. The first time I brewed with honey, it took 3 weeks to reach FG.

Quick Reply