Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > SLOW fermentation???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
capn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SLOW fermentation???

Ok, so for my second batch I am doing a Deadguy clone from Beer Captured, partial mash.
I brewed the batch on 3/9 og 1.066 .002 higher than the recipie not bad for my second time. I pitch Wyeast 1338 European yeast once the wort cooled to 70. The yeast was started 3 hours earlier so the bag was starting to bulge. Airated the wort and let it sit.
On 3/18 i checked sg was 1.057 @ 64 degrees bubbling away happily
on 3/23 sg was 1.042 @ 64 degrees bubling slowed way down. I shook the fermentor to try to re-airate, no more bubbles
today 4/13 sg was only down to 1.030 at 66 degrees. whats going on????

I haven't moved it to the secondary yet becxause I think that will slow down fermentation even more. there is still a decent film of krausen on top. Should I repitch more yeast? if so what type?

Help and thanks

Thinking about: Toasted Pale, Wee-Heavy, Shed
Primary: Hybrid Cider
StarSan,
Bottled: IPA, Hard Cider, Cottage (wood shed) Ale,
Kegged: AIR
On Tap: Cider, Shed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
solidghost
Recipes 

Wait a few more days and check your gravity again. If it goes down, then you don't have anything to worry.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

HaHAHA!!!!

I've been having the same problem with MY deadguy clone using the same yeast!!!! At 2 weeks it was sitting @1.030 as well.

I shoved it back in the closet, gave the bucket a swirl and wrapped a blanket around it....I was going to check it this weekend, but I didn't get a chance to....I'll probably take a reading in the next couple days.

I'm thinking that it is the yeast.
I had even made a huge starter for it....

I've come across a couple postings, including one on aussie homebrewer mentioning that this is a slow yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
capn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks revvy , misery loves company. It has taken 5 weeks to get to 1.030 . at this rate my beer should be ready to rack to the clariffying in 3 more weeks...

So what do you guys think about pitching in a second batch of yeast? the sg has been sloooowwwwly dropping but dropping. If it doesn't drop should I pitch a second time to hit my FG or end it high.
I don't mind waiting, but I dont want to wait to long and introduce more bacteria or funky flavors...

StarSan,
Bottled: IPA, Hard Cider, Cottage (wood shed) Ale,
Kegged: AIR
On Tap: Cider, Shed

Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn
thanks revvy , misery loves company. It has taken 5 weeks to get to 1.030 . at this rate my beer should be ready to rack to the clariffying in 3 more weeks...

So what do you guys think about pitching in a second batch of yeast? the sg has been sloooowwwwly dropping but dropping. If it doesn't drop should I pitch a second time to hit my FG or end it high.
I don't mind waiting, but I dont want to wait to long and introduce more bacteria or funky flavors...
I'm not going to repitch...A beer can sit on a yeastcake for a couple months without affecting it. As long as the gravities dropping it's doing it's job, just on it's own time table.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
capn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

revy thanks
in the mortal words of axle rose ' just a lil ' patience'