New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Slow fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Slow fermentation

I have currently got my first batch of beer in the go unfortunately I live in the uk and the temperatures have dropped here and I don't have a brew belt and my heating isn't working the current temperature is around fifteen degrees and the ideal should be between twenty and twenty eight it still seems to be fermenting but just pretty slowly will this still go all the way and just take longer ?? Any advice please.

Thanks

Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3852 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Actually, 20-28 is WAY too hot. It will produce some weird flavors. Cooper's yeast is bad tasting enough as it is (really "woody" tasting) but at too high a temperature it's even worse. If you're using a different strain, some are really terrible above 20C.

Ideally, an ale would be fermented at 16-20C, with a nice steady temperature and no fluctuations.

Remember that fermentation itself produces heat, and when I want to ferment at 17.8C, I keep my ambient temperature at about 16C. If your room temperature is 15C, that's actually about right for most ales.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

60F is actually not too bad for an ale, assuming you are making an ale. Also, the temp inside the bucket could be 5 degrees warmer during active fermentation. I wouldn't worry about it

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys the kit I have made is a coopers euro lager.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpien222
Thanks guys the kit I have made is a coopers euro lager.
A lager? You actually want that to ferment cold if it's a true lager. They ferment cold like in the 40'sF then, when just about compete they get a d-rest and warm a bit and then they back in the cold for several more weeks- this is my basic understanding as I don't make lagers but maybe Yooper can jump back in here with some additional help!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

A lager? You actually want that to ferment cold if it's a true lager. They ferment cold like in the 40'sF then, when just about compete they get a d-rest and warm a bit and then they back in the cold for several more weeks- this is my basic understanding as I don't make lagers but maybe Yooper can jump back in here with some additional help!
Thanks for that I just got the instructions out and realized I didn't read them thoroughly enough the first time the majority of the instructions are just general ale ones and there is a time bit at the end for the lager and it does say lower temps and that your supposed to let it condition in the pressure barrel for 12 weeks that's a bit of a bummer as the instructions for the ale at the front said a week in the barrel. Thank you for the advice though I will just have to wait it out :-)

Quick Reply